Solitaire-Nutsedge question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by avguy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jborchel

jborchel LawnSite Member

This will probably be considered a stupid question or idea by a newbie but I'll ask it anyway. Since it is so difficult for these chemicals to get down to the submerged nuts and tubers for a real kill and because Nutsedge tends to grow in small clusters why not inject this chemical six inches down into the ground around the tubers and nuts and in the area of the cluster? I'm thinking of a hypodermic needle like pointed steel tube connected to a high pressure container with a trigger mechanism. Wet the ground to soften it, push in the tube to a depth of 5-6"s and pull the trigger.

Has this been tried before?

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Because most of these herbicides labeled for postemerge nutsedge control is foliar applied and translocated.

3. jborchel

jborchel LawnSite Member

But with such limited success why hasn't someone developed a subsurface poison?

4. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm determined to get this stuff arrested one way or another and I'm trying not to go broke in the process.

I can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from.......:laugh:

[​IMG]