"Solitary" Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nmez21, Mar 29, 2006.

1. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the only guy that mows anything in my town or anywhere near it and now a resident is moving and looking for someone to mow this year while they are adjusting to their new home, mostly to intice a buyer and secondly to save time (they're moving an hour and a half away.) The catch is that their lawn is approx. 7 acres w/ a 1.5 acre pond to mow around--all flat and wide open. I am a bit concerned because I am operating with a 38" cut. This account would be quite a job but im up for it. I would I have plenty of time to do the yard (6hrs) and am just looking for suggestions on pricing. thanks in advance

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you being serious? If you are going to cut that with a 38" , I would buy some lights, advil, stock in a sports drink...etc. Do yourself a favor and pass on that account or use something much, much larger.

Good luck,

kc

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

38" cut, that means it is a lawn tractor and that will not hold up to cutting that much acreage each and every week esp on top of your other accts

4. nmez21

that's the thing, no one within 25 miles -the closest-- they charge a huge traveling fee, i'm doing my best with what i have, i can promise you that I'll leave you with a heck of a 38" cut, whether you want it mowed "like a carpet" striped, or if you want your dog's name written in it , i love what i do and i do my best. also i don't have all that many accounts in which i can use it, most are the 21"s business.

5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the cut price?

kc

6. nmez21

That's the thing, I have no idea, I'm used to charging $25 for 10,000 sq ft and under. That's where i need your guy's help.

7. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I understand you are using what you got. I understand things take money also. Maybe this will help you get a peek into the larger ZTR mowers productivity. Last week I cut 6 1/2 acres in 2 1/s hours. Half of the property has trees and the house to cut around. This is with an Exmark Lazer Z 23 hp 52" cut. It costs me, but frees up time and in this biz, time is $$$$. These are actual proven numbers, not a selling point fromthe manufacturer. If you can suck up the cost, you will not regret it.

8. nmez21

Thanks for the advice on that and i hope to grow, the thing is that i need this account to get the $$$ to grow. my mowing schedule isn't packed or anything where it's wall-to-wall cutting where the time is the biggest issue. although i do hope it will be like that someday. For now though i am looking for a fair price.

check that it'd take me closer to 5 hrs. to mow it, my mistake-

any ideas?

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Look at it this way: You charge $25.00/10,000 s.f. This 7 acre property has well over 300,000 s.f. to be cut. 300,000 divided by 10,000 = 30. 30 X $ 25.00 = $ 750.00. NOW, how nice do you want to be to these people. AND, how tired are you going to be cutting this acreage with a 38" mower? You will not have anytime left for yourself.

10. nmez21

With regards to the free time and boredom, I have too much free time now, ( not to say that I don't enjoy it.) I could easily fit it into my schedule. Also I once mowed 32 acres of grass over 3 days for a private organization's festival of sort. I was paid in goods for that (5 tickets to music festival value=$625, 2 tickets to MLB home-run derby value=$300, and nice looking coat for my dad value=$150) so i guess what i got out of that was $1,075. I didn't have much of a problem w/ boredom though. My uncle works for another "branch" of the org. i believe. o yeh, i did it 38" at a time. they had faith in me and now most townsfolk do too.