Solo and number of accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siklid1066, Jul 11, 2008.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

How many accounts can a solo guy do a week?I have heard 18-30.How is this possible.How do you do trimming and cleanups having 100 accounts.What about the extras,do you just tell the customer I only cut grass?What about when it rains for a day an a half?What are the real numbers?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I was at one time doing 35 a week but I've slacked off a lot since then. Extra work was scheduled for the less busy parts of the season. Early Spring, the dead of Summer and late Fall are good times to catch up on hedge trimming, mulch placement and stuff like that.

You will no doubt get replies from solos that do 100 a week.

3. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

35 accounts in a week boy your lazy(only kidding)but I have heard some say they do close to 35 a day, and still have time for this sight.

4. I'll chime in here because I'm probably the only person making a living on 18 accounts.
    But an account to me would be two factories and 3 of the owner's homes. That's one account.
    But I'm not really solo, I have a helper.

How could someone survive mowing 18 residentials?

The only thing rain interfers with is the chemical applications or maybe spreading mulch.

18-30 lawns a day would be more realistic.

5. gardiner

gardiner LawnSite Member

i only got 16 property and thinking i only want to take on 25 weeklys ..and only mow on tuesday-wed -thursday ...with 25 property solo it enough to keep me busy

6. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

My 21 year old son and I were doing (55) weekly in a three day format @ 18 hours total.
    Metro area, small lots, mow, edge, trim, blow & go. Was my old UPS route so I could picture the properties just by the address. Four mile square area and routed tight as could be, we averaged 3.0 per hour. Gave the kid some good work ethics :)
    Working as a independent for $600 cash which worked out pretty well.

Had the "brainbuster" to do it for myself instead this year in a suburb I live in.
    Hasn't worked out so well. Pretty good investment made, lots of advertisement and one only account.
    That $600 cash a week working for the man looks very nice instead of being the man.
    Oh well I'm in to deep to give up, I'll be going after it hard the rest of this year and start of next.

7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I'm still trying to finish up with college so school has caused me to hold back a little and Im doing 35-45 accounts a week solo. I keep Mondays open for little landscaping jobs, mulch, hedge trimming or whatever. Tuesday thru Fri for mowing. I really need to get my butt in gear and just do 12-15 a day and be done in 3 days but I usually do 10 a day and that makes for about a 7 hour workday with breaks and stuff. Once Im out of school, I plan on staying solo until about 50 accounts and then I have to get help so I can take advantage of all the other work my customers have.

8. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going into my senior year of H.S., and my Dad and I do 35 accounts per week. I do all the work by myself in summer, and to be honest, I don't work very hard. I would get more accounts, but when fall comes around I play football and then it is tough for my Dad to do all the mowing, but it works out. I once did 17 lawns in a day, but I could've done more.

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I do 22 a week, solo, parttime....That is a bout 12-13 hours for me......most are 1/2 to 3/4 acre.... I also have time for maintenance and mulch jobs.....

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I know you're kidding but let me add something. I have seen the work that people who do 35 a day produce. These are the kinds of people that have a high turnover rate on customers. They skip trimming. When they do trim it the grass is trimmed to the ground. One week they'll edge and the next week they won't. Grass goes everywhere when they cut. Up against the house, cars and in the beds. They half ass the details. They fly up and down the roads because they're always in a hurry.

They also complain about their customers a lot.

I take my time. I'm not in a hurry. I build good, solid customer bases. I charge more than the average Joe and I keep my customers for years on end.