Solo' and there Spending

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gilatplc, Jan 7, 2008.

1. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

So I'm working on my end of year paper work, and I was adding up all that I spent with my local mower shop. Now granted I'm LOYAL to the point ALL my receipts are from them and only 3 are from other shops. So this got me thinking, what do other solo's spend thew out the year with there shops?

Last year,$985.23

This year,$1,788.49:hammerhead:

At least I know where to tighten my budget at!

2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

i'm around 3 times that of your spending this year! it sucks.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I buy 60 blades from Rotary every fall and get them made up into doubles: @ ($430)
    I buy a summers worth of air, oil, and trans. filters when JD puts them on 15% discount in Jan. ($300).
    I budget $200 per month for 7 months for sundries at the Dealer - I use The JD Plan. I have never yet went overbudget. ($1400).
    This is about $2100 and for last year, it was 2.8% of the gross.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

You are a solo, and that was your service overhead? I'm a solo, and I am upgrading every piece of gear I have. A new 32" WB, new stick trimmer, new blower (Redmax 8001) new backpack sprayer, new broadcast spreader, new line trimmer and a new hedge trimmer. That's only about 4.7K. just how much stuff are you running? You might want to think about replacing all this stuff that keeps breaking down. Or learn to do more of your own equipment maintenance. Almost 2 grand is way too high for a solo in my opinion.

Or does that number include new equipment purchases? Or oil? Blade sharpening? that is just way too high.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Outside of equipment purchases I average around $200 to $400 a year. I do all of my own repairs and preventive maintenance is job number 1.

6. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

sorry sometimes i wish i was solo my monthly repair bill is about 1000 we have 3 somtimes 4 cutting crews and 1 sometimes 2 scaping crews 1 crew goes either way

7. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

That was my thought exactly, with NO equipment purchase at all, and nothing more then keeping the trailer stocked with oil, new blades(I sharpen my Owen) and so on.
    The biggies thing that off set us this year was I had a problem with cubes "jumping out" under my trailer and eating tires, I had to get 3 this past year! at $120.00 a pop.
    I do all the service I can for I was a automotive service tech before doing this, so 99% of this is purchases for maintenance.
    And all of my equipment is no older then 2 years so its mostly warranty except for the 2 cycle equipment.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

you pay to have your blades sharpened??

9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I do every once in a while. If I get backed up Ill drop a couple sets off and my dealer is done with them by the end of the day. Saves me some time. Its not often though. Costs about 20 bucks for 3 blades.

10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im not solo but...

Truck repairs:$9,905.12 (tranny$3100/psd delaminated tank $3400)
    mower payments:$5,243.43
    equiptment parts/repairs $2,469.05
    small tools/supplies $716.74
    fuel: $10,615.95
    insurance (bus/health/life/com veh) $17,801.70
    mulch/plants soil: $5,408.06
    veh reg/permits $1,184.30
    phones $1,541.49