Solo backpack sprayer ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Quail Creek LC, May 29, 2002.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I just purchased a new solo backpack sprayer. My question is this. Do you have to continuosly pump this sprayer or is mine defective. I have to pump it constintly to keep the thing spraying. I have tried to adjust the pressure setting and I still get the same response. Thanks for the help.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep...You constantly have to pump. You may be able to spray a little while without pumping, but you need to keep the pressure in there. Do you pump it up before you start spraying? Say maybe 10-12 pumps to get presuure built up? If not, then that may be your problem making you hae to pump more. I just got the SP0 backpack with 60" spray boom. Can't wait to go try this puppy out! I've got some clover to eradicate!

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

If you have to pump like crazy to keep pressure, you may have a bad seal or diphragm. Sometimes even a new one can be defective. Since you just bought it, take it back and test another one.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Take it back and go buy a SP sprayer. You can find them at Northern Tool and many websites.

5. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member

I just went through my warehouse & threw anything that said "Solo" in the trash. I've found that Shindaiwa backpacks have the least problems. But if you really want something that will last, spend a couple of hundred dollars on a Chapin sprayer.

Oh yeah, you have to constantly clean the tiny filter near the nozzle on those Solo sprayers.

Rob