Solo Backpacks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jaeger, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Jaeger

Jaeger LawnSite Member

I just ordered a Solo 471 Bckpack blower. Anyone have one and would like to comment. I hear they are commercial quality German low noise units.
    Like Redmax8000, but heavy and noisy. Echo's OK. Stihl has a nice unit BR600.
    Nothing like a building full of commercial quality power equipment.

:)

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Saw em in northern tools web, thought about it but staying with the max.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Our solo BP is no commercial unit. All I have to say is good luck!!!:hammerhead:

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I will stay with the tried and true brands. How many Solo's have you seen on LCO trailers? Who services them, can you get parts fast? Sounds like a gamble. Stay with the top 3 brands. Love my Red Max but would give Stihl a look because of easier parts and service in my area.

5. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck getting parts and service!

Nobody carries that line anymore. There were a few scattered dealers but they are gone!

My guess is that you might be a rep for Solo??

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I wouldn't buy a solo blower.

Heck, I'm reluctant to buy their sprayers these days.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya, wonder why you would order then ask about it? I saw them advertised and thought about it myself because of the supposed power and price. But then I immediatly ruled them out because of parts and service potential problems.

8. tsanteto

tsanteto LawnSite Member

More powerful than my Echo 403, much more comfortable and lighter. Much quieter and very easy to start. Not nearly as powerful as the Br 600 but adequate for general blowing and leaf cleanup. The only issues I have had is a couple of the hard plastic fins over the exhaust broke off and the rubber seal where the fuel line goes into the fuel tank leaked. I ordered replacement parts from the solo distributer in VA and they were very helpful.