Solo Chesat Spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cvlm, Mar 20, 2006.

1. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Anyone Using The Solo Chest Spreader I Have One But We Have Yet To Find A Bag Of Fertilizer Any Brand With A Spreader Setting For This Spreader Thanks.:)

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt you will find info on the back of seed and fert. for the Solo's. Calibrate it per the Solo's instructions and you should be set.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yes, the spreader...

It has been my experience, even if you own a spreader where they give you the settings, the spreader only works per these settings for the first 2-4 applications, after which for some reason it is always worn to the point where the settings mechanism becomes more and more useless.

What I have learned is to look at the chute itself, and I use either 1/3 open, 1/2 open, 2/3 - 3/4 open or Wide open for all my apps - That's 3 or 4 settings total and I never worry about them numbers anymore, just how BIG I want the hole.

The trick is, the smaller the opening, the slower it goes through. The faster you walk, the wider the spread but the stuff flows through at the same rate regardless of speed (flow-rate is determined only by the opening, not the walking speed), so wider openings generally require a faster clip on your part while smaller openings may mean you have to go kind of slow - Since this affects your spread, a faster walk means less passes while a slower walk spreads less diameter and you'll make closer (and a few more) circles or passes. While one might think the bigger openings get the job done the fastest (they do), the workout that results from a Wide open setting is breath-taking when you're in shape, and a killer if you're not. So, start with a smaller opening as this is more gradual and gives you a chance to get used to it.

A good, all-around no-nonsense setting for me is 1/3 open. What this means in numbers I do not know, nor do I care, I adjust the thing until it's 1/3 open, then close it and fill'er up. Once full, open and walk. For first-timers, I might even recommend a 1/4 open slot, just for the first time, see how it goes.

Takes practice, is all.

4. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys For All The Help. Topsites Thanks For The Great Advice Makes Lots Of Sense I Will Just Have To Get Some More Practice In But I Am Definitely Going To Use Your Advice. People Like You Guys Are Why I Love This Site Definitely Lots Of Help To A Newbie Like Me You Guys Are A Class Act Thanks Again.

5. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

By The Way What Fertilizers Are You Guys Using