Solo Crews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redoak77, Jul 28, 2005.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I got to thinking today while i was out mowing and wondered if anyone sent out crews of just one man. In theory, i would think that 2 guys working by themselves could do more than 2 guys working together. Like the same theory that you don't get double the amount of yards done when you add one helper. Just curious.

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget that two seperate crews mean two trucks, two trailers, two of everything which means higher start up cost and the slightly higher productivity may not compensate for it.

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Solo crews-is that an oxymoron. ?

For certain jobs, it maybe.
    I do not think it would. however, be for mowing.

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

The idea of solo crews is awesome. I think a guy solo does about 3/4 that of a dual crew. My biggest problem with it is finding the right person to work by themselves like that every day. It would really take a special person. And if that person doesn't work for a day, the cutting would get backed up real far.

5. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

the reason its so hard is because of the dedication it takes. one with a high level of dedication and good work ethics are usually the ones with the lco. if he can be trusted to work ahead and alone it wont be long before hes te comp.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You're not going to find someone who will work as hard as you will. If you do, he'll be your competition soon. I work harder at this than any other job I've ever had. Know why? I's mine and I love it.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Spring I had a shortage of help every one sucked so one whole week that is what we did I went out solo in my truck and Lou went out solo in his. We did quite well we brought in around 500-600 a day each! Some days we even hit 50 lawns between us. You do not need to stop for lunch and you work in high gear but my god do you want someone to talk to. I personally hate cutting by myself but sometimes you have too.

8. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

All of my guys work solo except for big properties or projects.. Less people to talk to = less slacking = less money I have to pay for breaks and crap that are unnecessary = a happier business owner

9. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

me and my friend can cut a half acre lot in 22min me by myself takes almost an hour you have another person to pay but look at the times. Were cutting 1/4 acre lots in 10 min almost takes longer to unload than cut, its amazing and this is with a w/b not a rider

10. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I was a solo guy for my company im with now now i have guys working with me and i tell you i HATED being the one man operator casue my boss took on stuff that was way too big for one person :realmad: I was spending up to 6hrs on one property some were 2-3.5 hrs and had to do everything trim, handmow, mow, blow ect I was spent and end of those days doing that for a hourly wage is assinine. If i owned it then it would be different. Now he has one man go out and do smaller residential stuff which is way more manageable like 5-6 res a day . He likes to have one man shows cause there's less windshield time
    Next yr its time for me to be on my own solo or Im out of this business.
    no more slaving for someone else