SOLO: Dollar a minute? Above or Below?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doublewide6, Apr 8, 2014.

1. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut LawnSite Senior Member

I was making a point that $35 an hour is insanely low. And nonsustainable
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. rockymtnnut

The $35 an hour is what I'm talking about as a benefits package yourself employment tax is15 % plus other taxes this is the cost per employee and you are an employee. So your market will only sustain 15 to 18$ for a lawn ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I think the dollar a minute thing is ******ed... I've got some smaller lots that require me to slow down wih the mower and have a fair amount of trimming/edging, they usually take the better part of an hour to do solo but there's no way I could charge sixty bucks, or even fifty bucks. I could speed up and do it in 30 min and hit my sixty bucks an hour or I could slow down and do it right.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Yep that's what I charge $15 a yard! Haha man I'm solo I take my time and make sure I do it right. I have a commercial zero turn, commercial WB. Husky BP blower and echo handhelds. Why do you invest so much time trying to make a random guy on a forum feel bad. I started out my original post by stating I make an insane amount of profit from doing pest control so in return I'm not trying to gouge a person I'm mowing for. I see no problem pulling up to house at 8 TAKING MY TIME leaving at 10 and getting a check for 70 or 80 dollars.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Man it reeks of dead horse in here!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Congrats! You're the Robin Hood of lawn care!

You should be charging almost double that for 2 hours. You're a lowballer. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH QUALITY. That's a cop out. It's an excuse you use to charge ridiculously low prices. Your "quality" isn't any better than any other respectable companies, either.

7. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Look I'm not trying to lowball this is my first year doing lawn care. I 'm moving slower than you are to make sure I do it right because I'm not as good or experienced as others. Hopefully this time next year I can get it done 50% faster and charge the same. So to sum it up I'm moving slower than most right now so I don't make an irreversible mistake on my customers lawn. I'm getting the market price for a lawn. I'm just taking a little longer at this point.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Sir, that is a fair, respectable, level-headed reply. Just wait til you almost double your output AND the lawns look better. It's gonna be awesome.

9. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

I appreciate that reply I'm usually a fan of your posts so I was confused about the Robin Hood attack ha ha.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. rockymtnnut

You stated that 35 an hour was your target if you cut a lawn and a half an hour at a $35 an hour rate thats 17.50$ i'm not trying to make you feel bad but you understand what trying to make a living at this But understand you have to be sustainable and $35 an hour for an operator is not sustainable
    Posted via Mobile Device