1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

SOLO: Dollar a minute? Above or Below?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doublewide6, Apr 8, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

That's the ass backwards part of this. Someone else basically said the same thing. You should be charging the same rate regardless of your crew size.

$35 an hour isn't going to get you out of being solo. And it damn sure isn't profitable with a crew.

Some people to say raise your rates AFTER you hire someone? Why?

If you're charging 35 that's 280 a day. 50 is 400. You should be charging more than 35 so when you CAN expand you are not playing catch up
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You may not believe this but the fixed hourly rate plain doesn't work.

It doesn't work because I can't charge the same whether I'm using a $12,000 Ztr or a $20 shovel.
    You may think you can, but it's not fair to the customer and believe me they're not stupid.

The customer doesn't want to pay $60 an hour for my using a $20 shovel, because if they did all I would do is shovel!
    Maybe some don't think I'm smart enough to realize a shovel's a whole lot cheaper than a Ztr and that I rake in a lot more profit when I have low overhead, hell why would I be so stupid as to wear out a 12 thousand dollar machine when I can clear $50 profit per hour while buying 4 new shovels every day.

And if all I do is charge a lot then all I get to do is ride the Z, which might be fine by some except ...
    There isn't enough work out there for one man with one tool.

So like it or not, the hourly rate depends on the COST of what is being used.

Same reason why it costs MORE per hour when the tree guy shows up with a cherry picker.
    Why, because of the COST of that truck.
    That's why it costs more or less.

Not because a bunch of guys sat up dreaming a dollar a minute one night lol
  3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe you have better luck there getting help...here, non convicts all want to work for themselves..its tough getting anyone and keeping them around
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut LawnSite Senior Member

I think you and I are on the same page. A solo guy int the Cincinnati area can make. 5 to 600 a day on about 11hr day.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Confirmed. I don't work past 1 pm. I could do a lot more if I wanted to. I simply don't.
  6. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Its tought to get help here, althought Im solo and plan to stay that way.

I see what the big players are doing and in My aera they don't bill laborors no where near 60$ pe hour, its closer to 18$.
  8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You'll never be able to afford the equipment if you don't charge for it. You're cutting your toes off with the shovel before you even get started.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Big guys here go cheap on the maintenance and make up the difference on install and irrigation, flowers etc...18 bucks is not worth the effort
  10. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut LawnSite Senior Member

That is one of my points it a target that's all look at it 25 to 30 min $40 per cut ,80 plus an hr. Done the best are the small properties with no gate 7 to 10 min 25$ Per cut125 to 150 per hr done.
    Posted via Mobile Device