SOLO: Dollar a minute? Above or Below?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doublewide6, Apr 8, 2014.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, as a Solo operator Ive found my "nich". Id dont really compete with with other companies, as I don't advertise anymore.

I will say everyone should try to get 85 to 90$ per hour, I know its extremely hard, but I also know is possible over time.

2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Its nice to work alone. No guys to push on, exercise, good conversations with clients and payup

3. larryinalabama

I wish the Dollars were Better, but going on my 7th year Im still enjoying going off too work.

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have so many different hourly rates I don't know where to start my Labor rate is $30

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Call 911! We have an "unsustainable" here!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut LawnSite Senior Member

Minimum wage near 10$ an hr. And we are here to learn???
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Thanks, I just spit my drink all over my lunch :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Your prob. pretty fast and efficient now so your a good value at your rate...I've watched guys spend double the time simply due to inexperience or inefficiency. I'm not suggesting running through the lawn, but some guys $65 per hour is not a good value...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. larryinalabama

Thanks for the complement, that means a lot coming from you.

The problem with most LCOs in my aera they all do the same thing and have the same equiptment. Basically they have a small trailer and ZTR, weed eater and blower, and that's it.

My truck is full of equiptment, if something make the job eaiser Ill get it. My mowers are smaller than most, my 48" Grandstand it he biggest I have. I only have 2 properties that I could use a bigger mower on, so I don't worry about buying a bigger mower. I also carry spare parts on the truck almost never get stuck in the field broke down.

You have to find a "nich", because everyone and I mean everyone has a new ZTR, its not unique in any way shape or form.

10. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Actually Larry, my Walker is unique...

As I am the only one in my market with one...

This is just because I recently moved to my market and always ran Walker so it's what I am comfortable with and what I love...

And do you know what?

Clients LOVE the fact that I collect. They didn't know that having somebody take care of the lawn could mean that there would be no clippings left behind.

They also didn't know that their lawns could look like Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park.

So while I agree with you about finding a "Niche"...... I disagree with you about everyone having a new ZTR and it not being unique. Because my company and my unique ZTR IS my niche....