Solo Fall Clean-up Blower Upgrade????

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by locallawncare.ca, Aug 28, 2014.

1. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Hello, I'm a solo operator full time, with fall clean-up approaching I'm considering upgrading my backpack blower. Currently have a br600 which is great and has served me well the last 3 seasons and also for fall clean-ups, in the summer it is also used in conjunction with my stihl handheld blower. So my question is, is it worth getting a bigger backpack blower just for fall clean-up? The br600 is more than enough all season and also holds its own during fall clean-ups as well, but with all of the threads about it being weak compared to a husq 8500 and comparable models. I'm not interested in a ground blower and work exclusively alone, all of the properties are small suburban homes 3-5k at the most, some have a fair amount of leaves with older trees and such. I also have a billy goat leaf loader and usually make a pile in the front and back and then drag the pile from the back to the front and suck it up. None of the homes have ravines or woods, most are heavily landscaped. I also have a trimmer trap rack mounted on my truck which makes it nice to transport, also not too keen on using a bigger heavier blower in the summer, also don't want the new blower to sit all season and only be used in the fall, although may not be a bad idea. So stick with the br600? or get something bigger?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

stick with br600 until it gets worn out then buy a husqvarna 580bts.

3. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

If you buy a Redmax 8500 or comparable Husqvarna(using the Redmax design), you'll wonder why you hadn't made the move sooner. The power difference is not even close. For regular season use, a BR 600 might do, but when you really need the power....especially if going solo, you need the Redmax.

4. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

It would be nice to have both, I love the stihl turtle shell design and for daily mow and blow it is more than enough for the properties I service, often times I just grab the handheld blower but always have both with me. There were times last fall where a little more umph would have been nice. I just think I'm crazy to buy a blower just for fall clean-ups, however many people have ground blowers which I'm sure only really get used in the fall and maybe spring. Being a solo op I try to have the best and most efficient piece of equipment for the task at hand.

5. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I want to know also. I have br600

6. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're not going to buy a ground blower and you really want the best and most efficient piece of equipment for the task at hand, then you want the 580.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Jersey

I have the Br600 And a Redmax 7500, one step below the 8500, and the 7500 has more power than the Br600. I like Stihl a lot, but their blowers are not real powerful. They are great for sidewalks, they are durable,and light weight, but not powerful.

8. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

The Redmax 7500 is also a great blower. Bought one recently and I'd put it up against the 8500. Tons of power minus a few pounds.

9. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

We use the redmax. Believe the hype, that thing is on another level

10. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

If you have the money I'd buy it. That way you could have someone help you if wanted and also have a back up blower.
    Posted via Mobile Device