Solo guy really sick....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pastaboy62, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

So i had a fever on Thursday of 102.5. I was like ehh, that is a little but I had a lot of lawns to do, so i figured what the hell, ill mow anyway. Well Thursday night it went up to 104.3, which is also on of my favorite radio stations. I was like oh man, so I took a bunch of advil and hoped for the best. On Friday it was still 104 so I thought I shouldn't mow. That was a bummer b/c I had 11 lawns to do which is a lot of time for me. I went to the doc and they said it was nothing. Friday night I was 105.7, just about had an out of body experiance. Went to hospital. Got shot up w/ drugs and went back to work today/Saturday. 99.6 this morning. Mowed from 1:30 to 4:25; I woke up at 10:45. Which made me feel like a nub b/c people were going to church and I was in their way. get So nonetheless, I am still behind on my work and it sucks. What do you solo guys do when you get sick like this. I hate getting sick, I am never sick, but when I am, I am....

Sorry bout the rant...

2. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Oh man I feel you. One fall I was doing leaf cleanups into December and working another job at night. I was sick and just couldnt take a day off and kept working getting sicker and sicker. Finally after we had our first snow and I was able to take a weeks vacation from other job I went to doctor. Found out I had pneumonia real bad and I spent my weeks vacation in bed.

But seriously man a temp that high you should see a dr as soon as possible. It is very dangerous.

3. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i only get sick about 1 or two times per year, and most of the time its in the fall or winter. last time i was sick i was in bed for 2 days, and it was in march

4. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Having a fever is like a car or mower overheating, dont prolong it.. get it fixed haha

5. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

To answer your question. I get sick like a normal person. Two or three times a year where I really shouldn't be working. The most dangerous thing about a fever and a mower is the dizziness and lack of judgment in a crises. I have networked with other LCO's in my area. If I can't work I'll call them and see if they can help out. Before my buddy sold his business, we would cut each others lawns for a little under the actual mowing charge for the lawn. That way the owner can still meet expenses and the company helping can still make some profit on helping the other guy out. If you network well things balance out an you'll end up helping someone else out eventually.
    A word of caution, however, you need to build a relationship with these people BEFORE asking them for help. I wouldn't want you to get burned. Good luck.

6. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Take plenty of vitamin C , golden seal, and all that stuff. My wife makes me take it. So I don't get sick. (Thank the Lord)

Tis best to stay doped up than to be sober and sick. lol

For Solos and one crew teams. Keep your health up.

7. Tim03

Tim03 LawnSite Member

Hey all, do you think there is a market for someone that basically covers other LCO sick days? Has anyone seen something like that? Would you use it?

8. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would help you if you were closer, hope you feel better.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Stay away from me lol

So I don't get sick, only times I've ever been sick in the past 4-5 years is always some contagion issue...
    Horse crap, school and big work places will do it for one, so can busy stores, any place lots of folks congregate.
    Not to say it's all their fault, it's just how it is, but you might have caught it from a relative or close friend or someone you see a lot of... Or maybe a customer, or at a store some kind of way, most of the times I have ever been sick it was always transmitted.

But the good news is you're almost over it by now.
    You should be gtg by Monday, might have to take it kind of easy for a bit if it weakened you but you should be fine.

Forget that lol
    Go away, stay in bed lmao

10. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I think its starting to wear off. Hopefully I should be able to mow on Monday. but now they are predicting rain for Monday....I can't win...

And thanks for the offer MnD