1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solo guys..... Any vacation time???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, May 13, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been doing this job for 16 years now. I'm 32. Had 1 vacation (over 4 days) in that 16 years, my honeymoon. I had a crew so I was able to go to Alaska for 2 weeks.

That was 5 years ago now. I've gone back to being solo and am just trying to figure out how to get some vacation time built into the schedule over the next couple of years.

Does anyone stipulate in a contract, or tell people, "Listen, I'll be going on vacation with my family for 10 days beginning whenever to whenever, when I get back I'll double cut your lawn if need be" or do you guys just work all summer and wait for a dry spell and leave for a week then, when most of the work could wait a week?
  2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

whats wrong with going on vacation in the winter time? doesen't it snow in Min.?
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My vacation is scheduled for late October on North Carolina's Outer Banks. I used to go in July but it's too much trouble trying to line up someone to do my work while I'm gone.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Can't go on vacation when you've got to be around to plow snow. I plow at 1", still can't get away for more than 2-3 days, and still got to be close enough I could get back in 4-5 hours to start plowing if it starts to snow.
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Wait for a dry period then take the break. Since that varies from year to year be flexible. Late July and Aug probably will be the best, however the last two years in KY there was really no break to speak of. Also maybe consider 4 day w/e get-a-ways.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I got all winter to vacation. It doesn't snow here that much, and I build in certain days I don't work during the winter.

I have been known to take a day or so off in the summer. I just bust butt to get done early and take a 3 or 4 day weekend. Usually I can get some help to make up the days off.

Fall is a good time to take a break too. Things slow down enough you can usually get away.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo for 12 years, Sunday May 16 is the first time I am going on a one week vacation. I am getting married on Friday and decided to leave for our honeymoon on Sunday so I can work on Saturday. I sent a form letter to all of my customers letting them know that my mowing schedule will be goofed up a little when I get back. You would be suprised all the well wishers and even got a little bonus. Hope it doesn't rain while I am gone I will be SCREWED!!!
  8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

May!!!!!!! Was that your chioce or hers? Man I would never go on vacation in Apr - June, never.
  9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey FLC Dave,
    I'm right near you, so if you run into any situation where you need some cover for when you're gone, send me a message. Enjoy your wedding, and especially your honeymoon. I am glad you realized it comes once in a lifetime, and are taking the time off. Enjoy your vacation, and try (though it's hard) to not worry about work when you're gone.
    Good luck, and congratulations!
  10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Web forums are not the only form of networking. Way before the internet, and still today, the best networking is right on the local level. I have taken 10 day to 20 day vacations in the past, and mowing has been covered by other friends in the business locally. I usually pick early August, when grass growth is at a minimum, and there's not much else to do.