Solo Income

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nelson, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if someone can tell me the amount of revunue a year someone doing it solo may be? My full time job is still in Limbo, and maybe this will help me out some. If it's a touchy
    question, I will understand, but if it's not a touchy question then
    I will appreciate the answer. I have been hesitant to ask this question, but I was just wanting input on the amount of money someone can make in a fiscal year doing it solo? That way "when"& "if"my full time job does decide to close down then I will have a idea what can be made owning your own LCO !!!!

Thanks.............................

2. Down there in FLA, you probably cut at least 40 full weeks, including the EOW time of year.

So figure about $35 to $40 per an hour for 40 hours.

$35 X 40hours X 40 weeks = $56,000

$40 X 40hours X 40 weeks = $64,000

All are guestamates and gross.

3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I'am in Florida and have posted numbers before. The reply I received was my numbers were "slanted"

Do the search and use your own judgement.

I only know how Florida is. But there are a few that live many
    miles from the state of Florida that will know much more.

Good Luck

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

solo ,it all depends on you . your output ability. in my opinion a solo is better off producing quality,rather than quantity.
    if u are gutty enough to try an sell ice to an eskimo,it would help.
    id rather have 30 accts that were top dollar,than 55 that are
    trim mow and go. ive got both but i know which ones i am
    more into.later now

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

What are you making at your current job? Answer this and I'll tell you if you can make more.

6. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

If you start with first class equipment, like a Dixie Chopper, a "real" weedeater and blower, a truck and trailer you can depend on, and a decent software package like Quickbooks, don't forget a CPA, and you are willing to work 14 hrs a day, 7 days a week, and have great customers at great prices, a one man operation can easily make $100,000.00 a year.
    But in reality, if your family is important to you, as well as some time so relax and enjoy life, as well as have time to devote to God, you better settle for much less. I think 5 days a week, 10 hrs a day geting you $60,000.00 is more like it. If you can't make it on that, I don't know what to tell you!
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

7. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Homer I make 37,500 a year know @ my job.

8. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Remember if you want to maintain $37,500, you may need to produce $50,000 to $80,000 depending on your expenses. Then you have to figure in the extra taxes and paying for your own health insurance.
    Is the job really that bad at $37,500???

9. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

NELSON, I'm in the same boat as you. I work at a "FULL TIME" job and make 36k a year. the job is very easy, the people are "OK" but the mental aspect of WORKING FOR THE MAN drives me nuts!! Summer of 2001 I started a lawn mowing business, I lost aprox. $6000.00. This is due to start up equipment and other business expences. My very aggressive plan for the 2002 season sees me in the green and leaving my JOB by APRIL 2002! But, not as a SOLO. This business, from what I understand of it so far, yeilds a 40% profit after expences. So in order to make THE SAME $$$ as the JOB I would (by my self) have to gross $51K in sales or translated to my area of business I would have to mow 55 lawns a week based on $35.00 per cut for an averge of 26 weeks a year. Well, you see, I'm married and want to stay that way! I also have a 7 and a 5 year old, I want to see them as well! SOLO may NOT be the way to generate the same income that we may be making at the JOB.

10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

one thing not mentioned yet, though I'm sure on the minds of most:

If you are going to start a solo operation, then get ready for a disappointment the first year.

Unless you are very lucky, the chances that you are going to be at 'full' tilt your first year are very unlikely.

What I mean is you are not going to start experiencing a substantial increase from you previous job for maybe 2, 3, even 4 or 5 years. In all liklihood, you will probably experience a drastic decrease in income the first year or two, and then start breaking even after that, and then start seeing some money the years to follow.

If you are on a 'fixed' amount of living expenses already, IE. family, kids, mortage, etc., then going full time is very risky.

You don't have the flexibilty to 'cut' expenses on the personal side to offset any losses on the business side. In other words, if you don't make X dollars a year, your kids won't eat! For some guys, if they lose some money, maybe they don't eat out as much, don't go on a vacation, where those jeans with the 'holes' in them a few more months, or even duck tape there boots together untill they can afford a new pair.........from what I know, wifes don't like having their shoes duck taped!

The cost of going solo are the same as starting any other kind of business, whether its 2-100 employees. It's unbelievable how many bill's come out of nowhere.

If you are going to start a 'legal' operation, you have to mow a lot of lawns to pull in that 37,500.

steve