1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solo LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnjnlc, Jun 14, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

This questions if the the guys working solo.

How many lawns do you mow in a day? Assuming of course all of the lawns are approx. 1/4 acre.

Just curious.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The question just has too many unknown variables. Everybody's answer will be different.

What kind of equipment is used? How long is the work day?
    How much travel is involved getting to each job?

It's not the amount of yards done each day. It's the quality of the yards and the profit.
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I do 54 in 4 days w/ a 52 inch hydro. Never out of the house before 830 and never home after 6. Tues and Thurs Im home by 4. Lawns range from postage stamp to 1 1/2 ac, most are standard city lots 75x150 minus house garden etc. End of the month tho Im dumping at least 9 so I can have more time for higher profit landscape projects waiting to be done.

No condos or HOA's all single family home most are 3 or more per stop.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I mow 10 to 12 lawns a day that are 3/4 to 1 1/4 acre each, so I guess I could mow at least 15 to 20 of the smaller ones a day no problem.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I was solo for the past 7 years! This year I got to the point where I had no choice but to hire help. It has been great! I have one guy working 5 days a week. I can now actually stand up at the end of a day and even go out at night! Because of the time he saves me per job he is paying for himself. Our first hour of work in the morning just about pays for him the whole day!
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you are doing ten to twelve a day of that size, and by yourself, you are KICKin' it!:cool: Keep it up!
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well today, I cut approx 14 acres in 9 hours( alot of hills and trimming, total of 6 lawns). Most heavy days are 12 to 13 hours though! Every time I think of how much more I could get done with a helper, I just think how much more green is in my pockets at the end of the week! Too many hassles with workmans comp, payroll, records, insurance, etc., with a helper.
  8. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Hey before my accident I was doing 10 yards per day,my cusin does 20 yards per day
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

when i worked alone i did about 15 a day, about that size.
  10. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

You are right MajorTom, there are a lot of variables on that one. I should have been more specific. I was mostly curius to see if I was on track or a major slow poke.

I am mowing 45 in four days. I use a 44" ZTR and a 33" WB. I use the 33" on about six lawns. Tuesday and Wednesday I am usually home by 3:00. Most of the lawns are 1/4 to 1/2 acre. Thursday is the hard day. Several 3/4 to 1 acre lots with hills. That is usually a nine hour day. Friday I do 16 1/4 acre lawns (8:30 to 5:00). They are all near each other.

Thanks for the input.