Solo LCOs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom c., Feb 10, 2007.

1. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

How productive are you solo guys out there? What time do you start? What time do you finish? How many lawns a day? Say average size 5-10k. How many lawns a week? Do you work Saturday? If you were solo and went to 2 people how much more productive was it and if you had a choice would you go back to solo? What kind of equipment do you use ? [ To rate productivity]Now be honest avg no of lawns per day and week. :weightlifter:

2. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been solo for 10 years and I get about 70 a week done. All different sizes.
    I do work Sat. but it is used for catching up if something happens during the week, equipment failure, bad weather, etc ... If all goes well during the week, Sat. is used for doing the "extras" like dethatching, aerations, or mulch jobs. That type of thing takes up just about every free minute I have during the season.
    I have never had any desire to go with another guy so I cannot help you there.
    I start about 8 and wrap it up at about 6:30 most days.
    My equipment is listed in my signature below.

Hope this helps!!

3. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

I have 60 accounts and about 70 properties al together. I do most of it by myself. I work Tues thru Fri. My brother in law helps me on Tuesday, we bang out most of the residential stuff using two trucks.
    I do about 20 to 23 and he does 15 or so. Most are 1/4acre and within 3 miles of each other. In all honesty, if I don't stop to screw around I can be on the mower at 8am and done by about 2pm. I do it quicker if i have to. I do not stop though. One right after the other. The rest of the week is for the larger accounts and commercial stuff. I've run into guys who claim they have 70 accounts and do it all alone. I'm sure they are out all week doing it.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

You could have 200 quarter acre accounts or only 50 one acre accounts. The number of accounts doesn't matter as much as the actual amount of ground you are covering.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I had about 25 steady accounts and would usually do an extra 5 or so weekly from a newspaper ad. Almost always solo a couple of times I would let a buddy help or my father if they needed some extra money but I actually found that I could do the yards quicker by myself as my buddy I made do the trimming (He sucked and I ended up having to redo most of the time) or if dad was with me I'd let him do the riding and I'd do the trimming but he couldn't realize that a zero turn is made to go up and down rather than a regular rider were you mow in a square.
    The most I've done 23 yards one day solo , started at 7am ended at 9pm, long day but made really good money.
    Last year I was using a husqvarna commercial z 23/52. Worked nice and was fast and very productive. Echo trimmers and blowers.
    Worked mainly wed. and Friday mowing and save the rest of week for big jobs like sodding new yards, etc.
    Solo is the best way to go. You know that your gonna take better care of your equipment than someone else b/c its Your Money.

6. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Yeah, this seems realistic I was kinda figurin about 50-60a week.Its one thing working then its another running around like a wild man! I had a high school kid helpin for a while but I had to check all his work half the time he would stop and watch me.:dizzy:

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

after mowing part time for 13 years, i went full time 2 years ago and hired 1-2, i could do 60 a week easy but had no time for hedges, much, brush, etc. i have 1 employee now and work 6-8hr days mon-fri, sat maybe twice a season with about 85 accounts. the timed saved is huge but at the cost of another ztr/blower/trimmer etc. but it makes lots of time for all the extra/side type work. this year i want ot be around 120-125ish with 2 employees. our lawns are a bit bigger here, .5-2 acre size

if you going solo, hiring a kid to trim only saves huge time for me

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

This will be my 5th year mowing and my third year solo. I only mow 3 days a week. I am a firefighter the other days. I dont work Saturdays unless I am behind from rain or equipment failure. I can do no more than 15 in a day alone. That is being on the first yard at 8am and pulling in the drive by 5 or so.
    Most of the properties I do are 1/4 acre or just a little bigger. I can use a 52" Z on alot of the fronts but not the backs.

When my wife helps me, I can EASILY knock out 25 of these type of yards in the same amount of time. There is no doubt that working with a helper is better...one on the mower, one trimming/blowing. However, I dont want any employees.

Workers comp, payroll taxes, screwing up my equipment, screwing up my customers yards, not being on time, not working quickly....These are all headaches to me..so I would say for me, mowing alone is best unless I can get my wife or son (once hes old enough) to help out.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This coming year will be my 19th season.

The first 5-6 were working solo, then I had employees for about 7-8 years, up to 7 at one time, then got tired of the employee headache and went back to doing it solo, 5 years now.

In the spring I work 80-100 hour weeks, then when it slows down in the heat of the summer, I'm down to about a 50 hour week, then when leaves start up, I'm back to about a 65 hour week.

I only do commercial properties, with a school district and a park system mixed in.

I use chemcials on my trimming on the schools, a growth regulator, so it doesn't kill the grass, but keeps the trimming to where I only need to do it once / month.

I run a Kubota ZD 28 / 60" deck, a Toro 455-d 11' WAM, a Ferris 48" DD, and the misc. other equipment.

I've got a 24' enclosed trailer that I can fit all this in, along with a PermaGreen spreader / sprayer.

Anyways, I'm getting to the point where I'm very tempted to hire again, but then I just remember where I was in the past, with absolutely hating everything about this industry at the time.

10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the same boat as you LwnMwrMan22!

Ive been at it 20+ years. Started alone. Did the employee bs. Been alone again the last 5-6 years and lovin it, but am also tempted to hire and always decide f that.

I do about 70 +/- per week full service (tight suburban route).

Solo=freedom.