1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

solo loadi/ unloading rig

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A+ Lawncare, May 27, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i work solo most of the time, and i'm wondering on the best way to unload my 21'' mowers off of the bed of my truck... i guess a ramp would be my only option, but what size & type?
  2. A+ Lawncare

:help: also further down the road i plan to buy an 48'' mower, but my question is will it fit in my 6ft bed ranger truck?
  3. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I used 2 by 6 finished cedar and some aluminum things used for fencing. They are buy the lumber at home depo. It provided a lip that sits on the tailgate so the ramp is flush putting stuff on and off. Steel ramps for the areator. (cedar light yet strong, way way lighter than the steel ones)
  4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

For the 21" pick it up from the tailgate and set it on the ground. 48" use any hardwood. Oak is one of the strongest. I have seen people get away with using pine but it has a lot of flex. Home depot and Lowes sell ramp kits with the ends that will sit flush with the tailgate.
  5. progolferjoe72

progolferjoe72 LawnSite Member

widest you'll get in ur ranger is 36, between the wheel welds its 40" pick up the mower and put it in, thats a good way
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are serious, and the truck is dedicated to Lawn maintenance, get one of the big expanded metal ramps that are the full width of the tailgate that fold in 1/2 and replace the factory gate... They are the safest ones by far.

Myself, I just heave the 21" Exmarks in and out of the truck.. It just means I need to hurry up and get a truck dedicated for Maintenance.. :)

BTW, I doubt that a 48" will fit too well in the back of a Ranger. A fullsize truck, yes, compact pickups, no.
  7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Before I got my trailer, I used to put my 48" in the back of my pickup (Nissan Frontier). It would not fit between the wheel wells. I would leave the tailgate down, and the tires would rest perfectly in the lip between the tailgate and the bed, no problems.

The setup works okay, but gets to be a pita lugging ramps in and out all day.
  8. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's stupid but when my dad can't help me I just lift it off myself. It's probably not great for the back but thats what I do.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Agreed. I currently lift a 21" into my truck on the days that I need it because there's no room left on my trailer, but I know it's just a matter of time until I'm gonna pull something!!
    I rarely have to use a 21", but if I had to use it everyday on every lawn, I wouldn't want to lift it in and out everytime! No way.

If you don't want to spend the money for a full ramp gate as mentioned above, or if you just don't want a dedicated ramp always on your truck, then maybe think about one of those cargo carriers that fit into your hitch. You can get them with ramps on them too (their intended purpose is for wheel chairs and scooters for old or handicapped people). Then when you're just using your truck for personal use, you can remove the cargo carrier easily enough.
    You can find several models on eBay.
  10. A+ Lawncare

thats a great idea gogetter.... to do a further investigation, can i put 2 torro trim mowers on that outfit?