Solo op add on services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason r., Apr 2, 2003.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering what type of add on services were being done by other solo operaters?

I mostly mow about 4 days a week, so when the weather is nice I have a bit of extra time to make some more money. I've decided to start adding fert/weed control services just as soon as I get my license. Definitly see a need for aerating and seeding or roof/gutter cleaning in my area. Even thought of doing pressure washing, too. Looking for 'FILL IN' type of work that would be benificial to my customers' props and make me some extra $.

So, what extra's are you other solo's offering (or would like to offer) to your current customers?

2. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Mostly my jobs have been hedge trimming and little light stuff around the house since most of my customers are older. I haven't gotten into landscaping too much since my time is taken up by grass cutting. Basically, I've found that hedge trimming along with mulching and edging work pretty good for me.

If you have any other questions let me know

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Although I haven't done it myself (yet), I know others have mentioned driveway seal coating.
    I may offer this in the summer when it gets real hot and dry around here and cutting slows down to every other week.
    Seems like it would be a good "fill in".

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I did a little sealing last year and am going to push it during the slow season. Its messy but pretty easy work.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

LB, what size driveways were you doing? How did you come up with your pricing?

The driveways in my area are fairly small (one car wide, 2 cars long, or some where in that area).

6. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Rototillling, hedge/shrub trimming/dethatching/aeration/minor landcaping, all good services to add.

7. LB Landscaping

from Maine

gogetter, I just charge my regular hourly rate with a minimum of $50 plus supplies. For a drive about the same size, takes me just over an hour to clean with hose or pressure washer and to seal it. Things like cracks and extras depend on the driveway. Like I said its easy work but messy. Defiantly need to dedicate a pair of shoes to it.:D

8. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Since I started this thread, I've gotten 5 calls from regular customers asking about topdressing or fine grading their props. The props average maybe 10k sq. ft. (this includes house, driveway, etc.) Most are interested in thinly spreading river sand over the whole prop and filling in a few low spots where there used to be stumps. I might take these on this summer with the old wheel barrow and metal rake and see how it goes and maybe next year I can invest in one of those Earth n Turf topdressers.

I'm already doing shrub trimming, small mulch jobs, and roof/gutter cleaning.

What do ya'll think about the topdressing/fine grading thing?

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dog walking, babysitting, picking up groceries from the market. manicures, peticures, and removing hair from italian ladies chins and backs

10. LB Landscaping

from Maine

LOL Bobby!!!:D :D