1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solo operation question(s) for the veterans

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Apr 5, 2002.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Beings that I am a solo show and relatively new, I would be curious to find out what the responses would be from some of the veterans in this business regarding the solo show. What made the most successful solo operation that you've ever seen so successful? I'm talking about describing their particular characteristics like quality of service, time management, salesmenship, speed, diversity, etc.? Why were they such a success?

Secondly, if you had to go solo [for whatever reason(s)], how would you do it?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm far from a Veteran lawn service, but I think you answered your own questions there!

"service, time management, salesmenship, speed, diversity"

I would have to put priority on the Service, Speed, and time Management aspects. But never sacrifice QUALITY. Quality is what will get you in, and KEEP you in!

Keep your route "tight" ! Don't be driving 15 miles to do a $40 yard!

I cant answer your last question, because I started when I was a Kid, and evolved from there. It would be a scarey world if I had to jump into this mid life now.

I do know that a Solo operation has the least amount of Headaches. Anytime you add workers, you add headaches, and Grey hair!

Best thing about being in business for your self is that "almost" everything you spend money on is a "business expense" and you can wright it off! Every thing from clothes to computers!

Good Luck!