Solo Operators - Mow or Trim First?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thegreensideup, Mar 29, 2008.

?

Mow or Trim First

1. Mow First

79 vote(s)
    69.3%
  2. Trim First

35 vote(s)
    30.7%
  1. thegreensideup

thegreensideup LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

Just wondering what the solo operators do first, Mow or Trim. I have always trimmed first, just to be able to mulch the trimmings up when I mow. Now I am wondering if it would actually be faster to mow first, so I am not wasting time trimming what I can get with the mower.

2. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Always mow first. In fact, I wouldn't have even considered doing it the other way. Like you said you probably trim some you don't have too. And, I would imagine there would be times that you would have to come back with your trimmer cause you thought you could get it all with the mower.

3. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

i usually mow first but it depends on the yard i guess, theres been a few times i trimed first becuz it was a big open lot with afew trees and street signs on it. trimin it first was easier. it is faster to mow first, you get all u can with the mower and get the rest with the trimmer.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Same reason I mow first..

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I usually trim first, because I bag and then I can pick up the trimmings. After a few times I know where I can and can't get

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

When I'm by myself, I mow first then trim.

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

What you are "wondering" is a reality. Like others have said, mow first.:)

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I use my trimmer "weed whacker" for edging as well. I like to trim and edge first and let the mower pick that debris up. I know where I need to trim, where my 32" mower won't get to. Trim, edge, mow, blow.

9. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

I used to trim first, but after making nice clean edges I would go and run my mower (21 inch) over them leaving tracks along sidewalks and walkways. These are for smaller yards than most of you guys do, but I also found that there were spots I was trimming that wouldn't have needed it. Now I always mow first.

10. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Don't forget a lot of this depends on the type of grass. Most of you probably do not mow St. Augustine, which could have 3 inch or more blades laying on top of the grass if you trim last, as well as massive runners if the edging was rough.

If it were say, Bermuda, you wouldn't have such a problem.

Just something to keep in mind.