Solo Operators-What's the best way to lower operating costs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smitty's lawncare, Mar 27, 2013.

1. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

Hello everyone! I am a solo operator, mowing 20 lawns a week (17 residential, 3 small commercial). I have all of my equipment paid off and keep it in pristine operating condition. I have great relationships with all of my customers. I have liability insurance that I pay along with my auto insurance each month. I am not an LLC., but I strive to pursue an LLC. in the future. I feel like I am in a pretty good position overall, I would just like to know some ways to keep my operating costs as low as possible. Thank you for all the input!

:usflag:

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Stay solo and never get sick or injured and raise your rates across the board and buy better and faster equipment. payup Oh yeah stay solo.
    :waving:
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

best way to lower costs is to quit:canadaflag:

4. The Turf Guys

The Turf Guys LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Stay solo. Don't try to become a Jack of All Trades

5. torquelandscaping

torquelandscaping LawnSite Member

Staying solo. If buying parts for oil change on truck buy two sets. Plan out what supplies you may need for upcoming months. Saves alot of gas not driving places for one thing. Take your lunch out to job sites. Tighten up route...always make right hand turns..hey UPS saves millions this way. Do routine check ups on equipment.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

Become the master of quality service, sound systems, and finances and the rest will be easy...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  7. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

LLC isn't a goal.... It's to protect you from your business problems basically. Just do your own thing and make money. Don't try to be this and that. Make money and keep your taxes low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And be as efficient as possible. We are all just trying keep fed and sheltered in the end.

8. torquelandscaping

Most of us don't do this to try and become rich. Work hard and make a decent living. Having the ability to be the boss and do it your way are priceless.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

WHAT THE HELL are you talkin like that to me for?? I am answering the poster's question! ANDI am saying to keep it simple!! I am giving him advise to keep it simple like I do . It has worked for me for 15 years.:dizzy:

10. torquelandscaping

I was agreeing with you. Not talking to you.
    Posted via Mobile Device