Solo Operators-What's the best way to lower operating costs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smitty's lawncare, Mar 27, 2013.

1. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Please state how the truck saved $3k a year after everything was factored. All numbers I run show a loss in operating cost and ownership until around 150,000 miles. Please let me know how!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If you are solo and conservative with your expeditures, then you are doing all you can to reduce your costs. Don't worry about it.

3. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

For areas that have kroger and stop and shop (maybe other stores also in different areas) use gas rewards, right now I have 1700 points which is a $1.70 off a gallon up to 35 gallons. Thats a $60 savings of gas. Fill up the Truck and gas cans.:usflag::weightlifter:

4. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest stay out of debt. By being debt free this will definitely help you grow being that you're not throwing money away to interest. Now, if you can finance something zero percent, maybe that's an option to consider.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i cut one today. scalped the yard. they are getting it treated by the turf doctor and he told them to get me to do that and he's gonna spray it with nitrogen sometime next week.

most people seem to be waiting as long as they can to start. i've cut maybe 5 yards so far over the past 2-3 weeks. i did 2 mulch jobs that's about it so far.

that little cold spurt really slowed things down. hopefully in april things will pick up.

6. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an enclosed trailer this year and have found that I have become more efficient. Just about everything I need is in the trailer and not back at the shop.

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

My phone was steady ringing 2 weeks ago, then it got cold and so did the calls. Hopefully mowing will be full swing in two weeks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

My point exactly. You spent a little more on the trailer and will spend more in fuel. You will gain that your equipment will stay fresher not getting rained on, road grit, etc. In the end your yearly cost maybe went up $1000-$1500. You can potentially make an additional $5000+ in labor over a season by not having lost time loading trailers and going back to the shop on occasion. So you increased your operating cost, but you also increased your potential revenue. That counts as a win.

9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

An enclosed trailer or box truck that's wrapped or lettered up nicely gives you instant credibility as well. It's also a rolling billboard. Can't beat that.

I sold my enclosed trailer. I'm an idiot.

10. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I was reluctant to switch but I'm loving it now. Another thing I did to increase efficiency was to buy a 1 ton truck with a dump bed.