Lawn Care Forum banner

Solo Operators-What's the best way to lower operating costs?

19K views 90 replies 43 participants last post by  clydebusa 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a solo operator, mowing 20 lawns a week (17 residential, 3 small commercial). I have all of my equipment paid off and keep it in pristine operating condition. I have great relationships with all of my customers. I have liability insurance that I pay along with my auto insurance each month. I am not an LLC., but I strive to pursue an LLC. in the future. I feel like I am in a pretty good position overall, I would just like to know some ways to keep my operating costs as low as possible. Thank you for all the input!

:usflag:

#5 ·
Staying solo. If buying parts for oil change on truck buy two sets. Plan out what supplies you may need for upcoming months. Saves alot of gas not driving places for one thing. Take your lunch out to job sites. Tighten up route...always make right hand turns..hey UPS saves millions this way. Do routine check ups on equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
LLC isn't a goal.... It's to protect you from your business problems basically. Just do your own thing and make money. Don't try to be this and that. Make money and keep your taxes low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And be as efficient as possible. We are all just trying keep fed and sheltered in the end.
Most of us don't do this to try and become rich. Work hard and make a decent living. Having the ability to be the boss and do it your way are priceless.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Most of us don't do this to try and become rich. Work hard and make a decent living. Having the ability to be the boss and do it your way are priceless.
Posted via Mobile Device
WHAT THE HELL are you talkin like that to me for?? I am answering the poster's question! ANDI am saying to keep it simple!! I am giving him advise to keep it simple like I do . It has worked for me for 15 years.:dizzy:

#13 ·
To me it's more about keeping down time to a minimum and being as efficient as possible than it is about keeping operating costs low. There's only so much you can do to keep your costs down, but there are a ton of things you can do to be efficient. I stock spare parts for my equipment, have spare units for most of my stuff and try to keep a tight route with customers that are willing to pay the price for quality service and to pay it quickly. The biggest profit killer in my opinion is down time, whether it be due to equipment, personnel or lack of work. When you start averaging in zeros it can bring your numbers down in a hurry.

#15 ·
Get a open business account for your consumable supplies. Find a place that will sell you oil filters, blades, spark plugs, belt, tires ect at wholesale cost. Also buy in bulk when possible. I saved about 20%.

I assume you do all your own equipment service.

It may seem a small thing but you will find it to pay off over time. Hyper focus (or slow down) when mowing to NOT over lap but 1 or 2". Ok I know we all been mowing since we was a kid and we know this. Check yourself some time, If you have a mower laying down a nice strip, get a tap measure and measure the total of 2 or 4 passes after your finished. You will find out how much you are really over lapping. 4 passes with a 50" deck should measure 194" witch would be a 2" over lap (a excellent over lap). It seems silly on a small yard but you can really save time and money on large acreage. You will most likely find one direction you are fine with your over lap, but going the other direction is 3 or 4" overlap.

Find any creature comforts you can to make you feel better after a long hot day. It may cost you a few bucks but you will find if something as simple as a sweet band, ear protection, cooler light weight cloths, better boots, gloves, a hat with more sun protection, and many more. All will end up making you work better without as much fatigue. And being wore out before the end of the day is not a good thing. This is when you make mistakes and reduce productivity. And we know time is money.

My pet peeve; learn the OHIO principle. "Only Handle It Once". This goes for everything you do. this can save you a ton of time a wasted energy. Examples, don't pick up your week wacker till it is time to weed wack, When done put it back where it goes. Only handle it one time to do the job it is intended. Stopping and starting any operation is a big time waster plan ahead basically. Same for leaves and grass clippings. Don't fuss with picking them up then moving then 2 or 3 more times before you empty them off. (I see this a lot).

A lot of forethought should go into how you have your truck and trailer set up. Many times we build racks and hangers in a safe place for your equipment that may look good at first, but in practical use you end up walking around the trailer 2 or 3 times every stop when it is NOT needed if you was to mount the trimmer rack closer to the street side or drivers door. Or is he trimmer gas or replacement line stored close to the trimmers ? bet not...

Time management and work flow for a productive work place was some of what I did in years past. Not that anyone needs to work harder just smarter. If we all look closely we can find many things that will increase your productivity and this will increase out bottom line as well.

#16 ·
I was agreeing with you. Not talking to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hahahahaha,,, it is just plain silly that someone needs to attack you like that... people who love to attack and spew , ridicule and bully,,, are best ignored...

if this post of mine generates more anger and hate speech, then reread it and THINK about what I said,,,
then,,, try to IMAGINE what it relates to... misunderstandings do not happen , except for sloppy reading or sloppy writing...

#24 · (Edited)
Some to most people who ask me this question think there is some magical solution.
There isn't, and worse is the answer may not be to your liking, but in my experience it's the only thing that works.

You have to learn to live within...
Or actually below your means.

You understand, it's a common misconception, living within one's means doesn't mean...
If I earn a thousand dollars I can budget all of that but no more.
What it means is if I earn a thousand I can budget about 900 of it, and no more.
May sound silly but that's why I call it living below your means.

Without that it doesn't matter how much you cut costs on the one end and work harder on the other,
if you spend every dime you make now you'll spend every dime later, too.

In the above example if you budget a thousand you'll be broke every dang time.
Doesn't take much to put you in a financial predicament then.

The fact you say all your equipment is paid for could be the light at the end of the tunnel.

So...
Pay off your auto insurance upfront, the day it comes due, all in one lump sum.
That will save you around $20 or more a year, when you get that renewal letter look for the lump sum total.
Once you find what it is you'd have to pay all in one lump sum, just pay it all off.

#25 ·
In my opinion when looking at my past , things I could have done to save a ton of money. Do Not Eat Out , this is addictive and costs a fortune , back when I did this alot , $7 breakfast $7lunch go out with girl for a $40 steak dinner , and do this 3 or 4 times a week , you are over $200 a week in food ,:dizzy::hammerhead::hammerhead: , this one thing has helped me save a ton of money. the second is enforce a 7 day waiting period on all unessisary purchases , I have made alot of purchases in the past , and then realized I don't need that 5th trimmer ,4th chainsaw , and one year I bought a mower and turned around and traded it the next year cause it wasn't what I needed 10 hrs on the machine:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: , this sort of stuff , try to stay away from the equipment collection addiction , keep it basic simply reliable , and it will save you a ton of time wich = money , keep your equipment upgraded but don't have to much , if you are a solo op you probally do not need 4 trucks and 5 chainsaws. Just My thoughts good luck.

#26 ·
Get a open business account for your consumable supplies. Find a place that will sell you oil filters, blades, spark plugs, belt, tires ect at wholesale cost. Also buy in bulk when possible. I saved about 20%.

I assume you do all your own equipment service.

It may seem a small thing but you will find it to pay off over time. Hyper focus (or slow down) when mowing to NOT over lap but 1 or 2". Ok I know we all been mowing since we was a kid and we know this. Check yourself some time, If you have a mower laying down a nice strip, get a tap measure and measure the total of 2 or 4 passes after your finished. You will find out how much you are really over lapping. 4 passes with a 50" deck should measure 194" witch would be a 2" over lap (a excellent over lap). It seems silly on a small yard but you can really save time and money on large acreage. You will most likely find one direction you are fine with your over lap, but going the other direction is 3 or 4" overlap.

Find any creature comforts you can to make you feel better after a long hot day. It may cost you a few bucks but you will find if something as simple as a sweet band, ear protection, cooler light weight cloths, better boots, gloves, a hat with more sun protection, and many more. All will end up making you work better without as much fatigue. And being wore out before the end of the day is not a good thing. This is when you make mistakes and reduce productivity. And we know time is money.

My pet peeve; learn the OHIO principle. "Only Handle It Once". This goes for everything you do. this can save you a ton of time a wasted energy. Examples, don't pick up your week wacker till it is time to weed wack, When done put it back where it goes. Only handle it one time to do the job it is intended. Stopping and starting any operation is a big time waster plan ahead basically. Same for leaves and grass clippings. Don't fuss with picking them up then moving then 2 or 3 more times before you empty them off. (I see this a lot).

A lot of forethought should go into how you have your truck and trailer set up. Many times we build racks and hangers in a safe place for your equipment that may look good at first, but in practical use you end up walking around the trailer 2 or 3 times every stop when it is NOT needed if you was to mount the trimmer rack closer to the street side or drivers door. Or is he trimmer gas or replacement line stored close to the trimmers ? bet not...

Time management and work flow for a productive work place was some of what I did in years past. Not that anyone needs to work harder just smarter. If we all look closely we can find many things that will increase your productivity and this will increase out bottom line as well.
All good advice. Esp. the OHIO principle and trailer setup for efficiency.

I would add or echo tightening of routes. Gas expenses are very high and you also lose alot of time driving from property to property loading and unloading. This is one of my least favorite things to do. For the most part, I enjoy the work but hate the driving, loading, unloading. This year we are targeting neighborhoods we already work in to cluster our properties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.