Solo operators....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Dec 17, 2005.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

How many of you solo guys turn down yards that you cant use your ztr or stander mowers on? How many would turn down a yard that had alot of 21" mowing?
  2. don't think you have to be a solo to answer that, I have crews and I'll turn them down.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I do think the question is more appropriate for solo's just because of the TIME factor. A crew of 3 people can knock out lawns that need 21" mowers pretty fast since you can use 2 at once and 1 trimming, edging, and cleaning up. A solo guy has to do all that alone and one at a time and it's very time consuming, like it takes about as long as if the homeowner was doing it.

I guess that's why I have a (much hated my most people) Troy-bilt 33". It goes where any 21" would normally go and takes half the time. Same rule applies for about any 32" walkbehind. A 36" is too wide for a lot of gates so IMO it's not a good size.
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as they are willing to pay my quote for services we have no questions here, we turn nobody down, opportunity usually only knocks once. Now we do get the folks that don't like our quote and turn us down. That's life
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Well said Green-Pro. I do the same. Another factor to consider is how many lawns you have at that stop. If I'm cutting a couple of their neighbors lawns and they're willing to pay my price or have a larger gate installed then I'll do it.
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I will either turn them down or price them way high. If I get it then fine. If not, so be it. If you are solo, the older you get the more those push mower lawns wear on you and the less efficient you are. No sense killing yourself chasing work like that when you can find work that is easier.
  7. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have one lawn that requires the 21 inch. New yard last year. I quoted it at $30 assuming I use the ztr. I get there to mow the first time and the guys says he only wants it push mowed. I say well it will be $60 because I dont normally use the 21. He said ok. So I mow his with the 21, takes about 45 min so its not bad money but I still hate walking.
  8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

no push mowing for me.....only have 1 client I'll push mow around her pool area, her property size justifies it and she pays top dollar, I'm solo, I can't make money pushing mowers, stick to cruisin' around on a ZTR in the heat anyday! lol.

not so good on the waist line, but the money is easier!
  9. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

This year I had one account that required a 21" mower, which i would forget to load half the time. I am not even carrying it on my trailer next year. I have a 36" walkbehind, which if i need smaller than that i will pass it up. Time is a big consideration. It takes to long going slow with a small deck.
  10. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Na man. I never turn down money. payup