1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solo Operators?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scraper, Mar 14, 2000.

1. CLM1

CLM1 LawnSite Member

Yea, I'm solo. It gets frustrating sometimes because you have to turn a job down every now and then. BUT, I also can pick and choose the jobs that I do want no matter how big. If it's a big job I just grit my teeth and get in there and try to work smart and consitant. Plus I know that when I'm done it's done RIGHT. <br>And yes I listen to Dr. Laura too. Funny thing is after hearing most of her callers I'm not as bad off and as crazy as I thought I is! hehehahahehehaaaw!!!
  2. crabber

crabber LawnSite Member

I work alone most of the spring until July when the water business gets full time attention. I only have about 15 yards so I guess I'm part time. My little cousin hops on that deere and goes while I trim after I get in from crabbing. By that time grass has slowed down.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm solo for 5 years now but my wife does the paperwork which saves me lots of time. I do all work myself all season and have 22 customers that averages to 16 hrs per week in the spring and 12 hrs per week in the slower times. I have another job that I work 56 hours per week at but I love the lawns.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I have 60 mowing accounts, they are all weekly thru June when some are bi-weekly due to the slowdown. I actually work and commute about 30 hours a week, no weekends unless there is prolonged rain. Most of my accounts are in groups of three to five, a few pairs, only two accounts are by themselves but they pay well and usually have extra work thru the year so I keep em on.<p>Bill
  5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

been solo/wife helped for the past 4-5 yrs. When it gets too hot or cold, I'm solo for sure. Held a full time job until this season; holding my breath & praying all goes well as I go full time. I work best with 1 helper to do trimming & blowing while I knock out the mowing. Had to turn stuff down in the past, but better that than to take it & be overwhelmed. Less is more as they say. Some places I wouldn't want to be a slave to!<br>Most me & the wife could properly maintain with our used equip. was avg. of 25 properties, some big, some small, commercial & residential. With full time job we only had 20-25 hours a week to work with (sometimes 15-20).<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  6. steven Bousquet

steven Bousquet LawnSite Member

I see there are alot of soloist. are there any big guys on this sight ? I mean a million or more?
  7. Alan

Alan Member

I'm a solo operator from northwestern Vermont. If I could, I'd get out of mowing almost completely. Only mowing I want to do is the contracts I have on a 12 month payment basis. That way I could keep them for the snow plowing. No money to speak of in mowing around here, too much lowball bidding and too many &quot;old buddy&quot; deals going on. I'd like to be able to keep mowing down to a couple days a week, choose my customers to suit myself, and spend the other days doing seeding or hardscaping, stuff I enjoy and can make money at
  8. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I'M MOSTLY SOLO BUT HAVE ACHANCE TO GO HUGE,BUT IHAVE BUDDIES THAT GROSS $1,000,000 or so and they tell me to keep small .THE HEADACHES)are'nt worth the profit margin! and i seem to believe them. i don't consider myself threat to them,are they right?<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
  9. DMC300

i'm almost solo right now exceptfor my wife,when available.ihave achannce to get hugebut my buddy which gross'overe$1000000 pere year speaks against getting much larger,and i have to take his advice, see.ing his net profit.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
  10. DMC300

<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING<br>