Solo Operators?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Newguy25, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Newguy25

Newguy25 LawnSite Member

How many of you guys and gals are solo. Reason I ask is we got in a huge debate in my Hort class the other day. The teacher said you cannot have a successful business and be successful solo! I believe he is wrong, what do you guys think???

2. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

im solo. done pretty good so far.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have been in that debate. Some of it depends on the area you live.

Things to think about: If you are injured or ill who will do your work?
    Would an extra crew be able to get more work done?

Some will argue that in order to retire you need an employees. I haven't delved into the how and why to make it work - employees.

4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm... I was looking at some statistics recently on what various professions pay. I make more cutting grass than a lot of people in other industries, and I get 3 or 4 months off per year.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

yes, but growth is essential in any business..... i dont want to be in the feild forever,.... with good growth comes employees......

6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

It depends on what you classify a business as.

I have a business consultant that feels it is not a business until you have employees you only created a job for yourself.

Which I agree with under certain terms. If you are solo and have no desire to go beyond that then you have not really created a business. If you are solo with plans to move forward with your business then that is an exception.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What does your teacher define as "successful"?

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a couple guys working for me a couple years ago but it didn't work out so I started doing the jobs myself and made out a lot better. I might hire someone once I get to 100 or more weekly cuts

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm... maybe I'll take this statement to the IRS in the hopes of NOT paying my taxes this year... :laugh:

10. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done both I rather have employees for the landscape install the mowing I can do on my own but is so much better when your done mowing so is the weedeating and blow off. I vote to have employees.