solo operators..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSIM, Dec 3, 2004.

1. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Question for those of you who have 40-60 weekly customers, How do you manage all of them and still find time to fit in all the shrub & tree trimming, fert, areation, flower beds, seasonal color, & weed control for those who request it?
    Do you not provide these other services?

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

As a solo op, I average 75 customers a week. That takes 5 days with no delays, which leaves me at least 1 day to do extras.

3. DSIM

Wow, thats really hard to believe you do 15 yards a day.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

It's really hard for me to believe that solo operators can only do 40 to 60 lawns a week. I couldn't make a living off of such a low customer base.

5. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah even part time, on a Saturday and Sunday I could mow 35-45 homes

6. DSIM

Usually a yearly customer generates at least $1k. So your saying you couldnt live off of $40-60k a year?

Also, are most of the homes in your area w/o shrubs? Where I live, most home are surrounded in shrubs. The backyards are fenced and a lot of the fencing is landscaped with shrubs. Keeping these trimmed requires a lot of time. I just dont see how you could keep up with the shrubs and all and still do 15 yards a day.

Chevyman- I seriously doubt you do all that by yourself in two days.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it all depends on the type of homes we are talking about, here. Myself, the vast majority of my places are 1/2 acre subdivision homes. I am doing good if I knock out 7-10 per day. That is bustin' rear-end. For those that take the extras, it depends on what it is. Some of the stuff (like bed weed control) is done every visit or every other. Shrubbery, of course, is only done once or twice. I use extra days and also sacrifice mowing time to get through these. Obviously, all the trimming canm't get done in consecutive days, so it is a little here and a little there. I can only do so many per week and keep up with all the mowing. Timewise, it is better to do it while you are there to mow, though, rather than visit seperately for this. The fert. and chem. is mixed. Sometimes they will be done on a mowing visit, and sometimes a few days are just set aside for it. I save alot of money this way, by not pulling a trailer, and many of my fert. accounts aren't even close to my mowing area.

8. chevyman1

DSIM, I seriously doubt you can live off that either....that's a GROSS number my friend....after expenses, taxes, and unforseen bills, you hardly make that kind of money. The average for me this summer was 18 places on a 9.5 hr work day...I did as many as 23 in one 12 hr day of just residential homes...tight routes and the right equipment and I'm always going, no slacking. 60 inch Dixie zero turn, 48 and 36 walk behinds my friend.

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

10. chevyman1

I should add next year i will be full time and by myself I will have about 10 commercials I can do in 2 full days, and about 55-60 residentials I can do in about 3 days...well grossing over 120k. If I win the bigger bids I threw out there, my brother in law is going in as a partner we will double most of the equipment, and would gross about 225-240k based on our projections