Solo Ops -To mow or trim first?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CGC, Jul 12, 2007.

1. CGC

CGC LawnSite Member

Which do you find is more time efficient?

Thanks for your time.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Usually mow first. But it depends on the overgrowth of what needs to be trimmed and edged. If it is crazy, then I do the majority of the edging and trimming first so I can mulch up the debris with the mower.

3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. Why waste time trimming something because you arent sure if you can get to it with a mower or not, or leave something that the mower cant get to and having to come back with the trimmer again.

4. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

depends on my mood. sometimes i trim first and mow, sometimes it the other way around. unless it long, then what GRITS said.

5. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i mow first them trim

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

mow then trim

7. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

We trim first, then mow. It leaves a cleaner look in my opinion.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

First cut of the season, or taking on a new lawn that needs shaped up... Matt will trim first. But otherwise, it's easier to mow first. Trim first, and you'll find yourself trimming more than necessary.

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If you mow the same yards every week, how can you not know what the mower will or will not cut? I always trim and edge first since it does leave a cleaner look, like Midwest said.

10. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I try to trim my regulars twice as low as the mow so I can do a quicky trim or no trim at all the next week. I know it seems lazy on my part but my customers don't seem to notice or mind and it saves me a bunch of time.