Solo ops

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Mar 14, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Just a question for you solo ops.

Seems like people like to get into business to control their own futures. Have you guys ever thought of hiring a full time employee and spending your time setting up work and doing all the sales, marketing, and accounting part of the business. This way there is never a downtime while your working. You will constantly have work lined up for employees. You own a business not a job. I am looking for a way to work smarter....not harder.

Any thoughts...

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you only have enough weekly clients to be a Solo Op then you can't possibly afford to hire an employee and you sit in the office. Financally you shouldn't even consider an employee until you have at least more than 50 weekly accts IMO.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

When you get a 1/2 dozen or more full time employees you can start "thinking" like that...until then NO.

4. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I am a solo with 85 weekly accounts. When I am done with a lawn I know everything is done the way it is suppose to be. Customers hired me to mow their lawn and like the fact that it is me out there, not an employee.

5. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I guess there's several things you can do once you hit your limit. I am almost at my limit, I figure when i get there, I will just wean out the less profitable accounts and make my route as profitable as it can be. then after that maybe ill consider a helper for one or two days. Theres nothing wrong with working as the boss as long as you like it and it is very profitable.

6. jcr4au

jcr4au LawnSite Member

Ihear what you are saying, and am working to some form of what you are asking about. The main negative to this is why would a guy who does good work do it all for an employer. If he is working solo full-time for $15/hr., why would he not go out and work for himself?

7. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

[B]Seems like people like to get into business to control their own futures. Have you guys ever thought of hiring a full time employee and spending your time setting up work and doing all the sales, marketing, and accounting part of the business. This way there is never a downtime while your working. You will constantly have work lined up for employees. You own a business not a job. I am looking for a way to work smarter....not harder. [/B]

I'm 57 and really don't want to be mowing when I'm 65. I'd like to be able to just do sales, marketing, CS, billing and accounting. However I figure that I will need at least 100 customers to support that.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Guess its just me...but I like getting outside and working. Quite my other 'full-time' job cause of all the desk duty and travel involved.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Landscaper, I'm in the same boat as you are. It seems like you are close to hiring an employee. This year I will consider it but not a full time employee. One reason is I love mowing, always have, and I don't know if I can trust someone using my equip. and esp. mowing my accounts. I give these guys in here with crews big props. for all of the headaches they must have every year. This year we are hoping to have roughly 60-80 accounts, and I also work 7am to 3pm Mon - Fri. at my full time job. :help: :blob3:

10. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I hear where everybody is coming from. I just wanted to toss it out there. I think it would be interesting to be able to have a couple guys out working while you line up more work for them. If I had a couple weeks free to market, I know I could have tons of accounts. Also, it would be nice to get into some other businesses, working 50 hours a week on a mower would limit that.