1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Solo or employees?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by fastlane, Feb 21, 2013.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Are you solo by choice?

2. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but once in a while I will bring my brother, or a friend along for help.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

3. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

I'm only solo for mow trim blow and go's. I use a worker for some landscape installs and all leaf clean ups, because I have to, because I cant pull the tarp full of leaves off the trailer by myself.

and its also cool to have someone picking up the sticks and moss and blowing around obstacles while I'm ridin on the mower.:dancing:

4. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

haha yeah thats about it

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

solo on everything i do. if i can't do it myself i pass on the job. i cut leaves up with the mower. i don't use tarps.

6. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

i used to mulch. and i found that its a lot more profitable to bag them with the power bagger. I'm not sure how, though. Ive only done this for 4 years, I havent quite got it down to a science yet.

I really like it better than mulching because I can take on large amounts of leaves, which is more $$$, of course. With a mulcher, you cant really make a real thick pad of leaves disappear.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i havent' run into thick pads of leaves yet. what i do is i never stop mowing to allow the leaves to buildup. i mow weekly or bi weekly until the end of october. in nov i mow bi weekly cutting the leaves up. this keeps the leaves from building up too much. usually by the end of november all of the leaves have stopped falling here. there are some bad yards out there but i don't have any of those as customers yet. in that case i would just blow the leaves into the woods with the blower or blow them into piles by the street for the city to pickup. the city drives around in big trucks sucking the leaves up here.

8. Buck Hollow Lawn Care

Buck Hollow Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Mostly solo, bigger jobs have a helper

9. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Solo.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's more fun with employees :waving: