Solo or Partnership

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zak406, Jul 2, 2006.

1. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

:angry: :angry: Hi guys

As of right now im in a partnership with a friend. This partnership has gone down hill over the last 2 years. It seems as if he doesnt care about time limits for a job such as if you have to do a mulching job by july 15 he doesnt care he will do it july 16 and that really doesnt give a **** about any jobs we have to do only his personal jobs like cutting his neighbors grass. I was thinking of next year going out on my own. I was wondering if any body else here has done that and has it worked out.

2. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in the same scenario for the last 3 years! He had to have it his way and o man i could go on for hours on stories. He would do a sissy job like trim and then make me do everything else while he fooled around or pretended to be drinking water or mess around in our tool box. Last year the biggest shock came to his face when i told him i will be mowing solo next year. Now he has like 6 customers 4 in which he got in the split up. I now have 13 and doing alot of landscaping. Earlier in the year he used to copy all my equipment ideas and advertising strategies bc he had just mooched off of me for the past couple years. If i wanted a Blower by god he wanted the same model. It made me mad but then i looked at my income compared to his and was happy. I was ready to split in July last year and i told my dad and he said wait til the end of the year or it will just be a mess and it would of been. Id say wait til u are fully done this winter with clean ups and b4 u tell him start making flyers so you will be ahead of him, thats what i did and now were back to being friends after he hated me for a while but its cool now. Be prepared for him to hate u for a while (sorry no other way to word it) but just focus on getting a reputation and do just a good of job as u used to do and once u get new customers word of mouth will take over! Its still taking over for me! Hope this helps and sorry bout the long post! LOl -Mitch-
  3. zak406

I could go on with stories my self. It pisses me off like on clean up jobs taht i do most of the work while he sits there and gets paid half. But o well as long as i get my mower for next year ill be fine. lol
  4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

You just posted my exact same scenario. My partner will cut for Subs from Mr. Sub for xxxx sakes. He is late 85% of the time. Doesnt answer his phone 50% of the time. His excuses for being late are getting tired....Locked the keys in the truck, the alarm I bought him didnt go off, the alarm on his cellphone didnt work cuz the battery was dead....etc.etc. I too am going solo next year but I have no idea how to get out of the partnership.
  5. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him you have decided to go solo next year, as you prefer working by your self.
  6. ranger351w

ranger351w LawnSite Member

Good morning.

I don't know why you would have a partner if you only have 13 accounts? I have twenty in my second year and am 61 years young. Half of these are larger accounts,two to three hr. each. I do these in three days and don't hurt myself any doing it alone. But thats just me.

A.S.D.S. Mowing
  7. zak406

Thank you for the advice guys.

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I'm a 100% born control freak! I want all of the responsibility on me! My Business, my clients, my bills, etc. That way when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror the only person I have to answer to is me. Go solo and build slowly, you will get great results.
  9. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Partnerships are a disaster waiting to happen. And when they eventually break up, its like a divorce and it is rarely amicable.

You may hope that your partner honors the agreement you had drawn up...but alas if the stakes are big enough, lawyers will get involved.

Stay single, I mean solo, and get employees...
  10. zak406

Thank you guys for the great advice. Keep it comming!