Solo or Stihl Backpack Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ratchet, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ratchet

ratchet LawnSite Member

I need to purchase a backpack sprayer to spray a large area of poison oak.
    Dealers in my area carry Solo, Echo and Stihl. The Solo model 425 seems to be popular but the Stihl SG20 looks good too. The Stihl costs $10.00 more.
    Any suggestions?

2. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

I have several solo's. They work great as long as you don't forget to grease the seal under the cap. Otherwise, the seal will break and you will get chemical down your back. I haven't used another brand yet, my next one will most likely be something differant.
  3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used them all , and Echo , which is the same as SP is what I use.
    I was never able to stop the lidsfrom leaking and 'cides from running down my back , solo is the worst , to me
  4. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

My dad has a birchmeier that he likes a lot. They are expensive though.
  5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I have two echo's, one of them is 8 years old and still works fine. They do leak a little at the top though.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Shindaiwa is the best in my oppinion. SP518 professional (hand pump) or ES726 (electric). They don't leak, and you will not be disappointed. They last for many years.
  7. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have had several Solo's, a Shindaiwa. The Solos have had several problems especially with the piston pump. It seems that mine would get some grit behind it and eat up the sides of the tube. It would then have to be replaced or it required too much pumping. My Shindaiwa is probably 10 years old and I have never had to do anything. The pump is inside the tank, so no chance for a leak. I would buy Shindaiwa again. I have had several Solo diaphragm pump models since I often use wettable powders. I haven't had problems with these, but others had had some negative comments. I probably won't buy Solo again unless it is really cheap. I did see some at COSTCO earlier this year for about $65.
  8. woodall1

woodall1 LawnSite Member
    from Eden NC

I just picked up a sg20 and so far it is sweet.
  9. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

I'm just a homeowner but I have a commercial 4 gallon Solo backpack that I paid ~90 bucks for and it has had two leaks - one at the handle (I had simazine dripping all down my spraying arm from the handle on back) and now the seal on the top has broken in half.

While I'm not very impressed with the durability, I AM impressed with the customer service. I called up there and they didn't make me jump through 15 different hoops just to get my stuff fixed like most other companies. A live human answered the phone immediately (no wait), diagnosed the problem immediately, didn't even require I prove to him that I even OWNED one of their products, much less that it was still within its warranty period (whatever that length of time is, I'd had it for less than a year)... he just got my address and 3 business days later I had the part, no questions asked. Came with instructions too though I don't know why I would need them. But the guy was very friendly.

Same experience the second go round.

As a homeowner, I'd rather have a average reliability product as long as the customer support is good - as compared to a product that rarely breaks but is impossible to fix when it does.
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The sprayer is great but you're only as strong as your weakest link. As long as Shindaiwa is using those POS, stiff in the cold, brittle GoodYear hoses, I'll never buy another one again.