solo or two employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rosolar, Mar 14, 2006.

1. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Hi, I have been solo the past two years and it has gone pretty well. This year is my 1st chance to use a full time employee. I need to make some decsions about what I want to dso w/ my company.

If I were to go the employee route I would like to have no more then two employees who would do mostly lawn maintaince. springcleanups, mulch, mowing, fall cleanups. 4 days of mowing a week for them and one day to attend to various landscaping jobs. each employee bringing in $350-400/day.

Option two is for me to stay solo. I have no problem with mowing solo, but what about 20yd. mulch jobs and other intensive landscaping jobs? I would want to be doing those byself.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. This just seems to be a decsion I can not make up my mind on.
    Forward Message

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I do all landscaping....and I am solo. It sucks not having someone else to help with some of the bigger jobs. Many times I will have a helper....but its when its most convient for them. I plan on hiring someone this spring.

If your open to the idea of hiring someone than you should give it a try. A lot of people don't want to deal with the headaches, but if your doing any kind of landscaping its almost a necessity.

Some of the additional headaches include

calling in sick
    vacation time
    making sure there is enough work to schedule them
    knowing that you are taking care of someone else's family
    payroll
    workman's comp
    the employee will never do things as good as you....or care as much about what they are doing

3. polplow

polplow LawnSite Member

use temp. help from an agency for the few times you need that second person to assist with mulch or landscape jobs.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Good call but what does that all involve?

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You should probably have a temp agency near you that deals with manual labor positions...just call them and tell them how many people you need, where they should meet you, etc. Since the temps work for the temp agency they handle all the payroll and stuff for their workers.

Now most temps are not very good, but if you basically just need someone to hump a wheelbarrow around all day it's a good way to go. Hard to screw up pushing a wheelbarrow (although you'd be surprised :laugh: )

6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL...I had a guy raking...I figured you couldn't screw that up. This kid spent 15 minutes raking a 5' x 5' area. Man did it look perfect! The kid was high or something. I told him he should move around with the rake a little bit. It would have taken us a week at his rate.

7. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

I have had the best luck with me on every job whether it be mowing or installs and to have a helper. I am very straight forward as to what i want and how they should be doing it. It has worked well. I like being on every job so I know what the completed job looks like and it is up to my standards.

I pay cash under the table.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

All I will say is you will never get rich working alone...btw for those solo, what happens if you get hurt or get sick?

9. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Hope the IRS aint watching this forum.

Anyways, when you use a temp service, do you have to have anything like insurance on the employee,workmans comp, or anything like that? Do you just pay the temp agency the hourly rate they want and thats it?

Jason

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^YOUR GONNA HERE IT FOR THAT ONE^^^^^