Solo pipe pulling?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PR0 TURF, Feb 12, 2003.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you pull pipe solo? We usually pull 1" poly from a 300ft roll with 2 guys. One runs the DitchWitch & the other wrestles the pipe. We've been thinking of building some sort of suspended horizontal pole set up(very simple) for the pipe to ride on to eliminate the one guy handling the pipe. Everyone pulls pipe with 2 guys in our area....but there must be an easier way...anyone have any pics of there setup, or any tips etc???

2. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Around here everyone has a reel type device that holds 300' and allows one man to pull. Huge money saver. I bought mine years ago, so I don't have the literature anymore, but I'll try to find some from the dealer, and post the info in a day or two

Doug

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Reel? I thought i was going to have to make one. Dig that up quick.

4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

The dealer just mailed his last copy to another company and is waiting for the sheet to come, and then He"ll fax me a copy. Sounds like it will be next week, because they're coming to him by mail. I'll post as soon as I get them.

Doug

5. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I've seen these hose reels and have often wondered if they really save time. We pull pipe with 2 people and it seems to be quite efficent. At the end of a Pull, the pipe holder cuts the pipe and moves to the next spot, by the time he gets there and has the pipe taped up, the plow operator is in position and ready to go again. We can pull the avearge size yard (1200 feet) in 1 to 1 .5 hours.
    With the pipe reel, the operator is constantally walking back and forth, cutting the pipe and moving the reel. I just don't see this as being much faster. Can anyone shed some more light on this for me?
    -Mike

6. HBFOXJr

Here were not going to get that kind of production. Seldom wide open areas no matter what the size of the job. Sidewalks to bore, utilities to be dug before crossing, fences to go under. We're taking longer with the machine unless it is truly easy. Four bores plus utilities in several spots will be the minimum needed. I don't think the minutes to move the pipe equals the minutes of standing time while pulling. A lot of times the operator waits while the guy moves loose pipe, couples pipe and tapes pipe. It isn't major per occurrance but adds up repeated over and over.

7. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Harold,
    Holy cow! 4 Bores per job??
    We maybe bore 1 or 2 times for every 10 jobs we do.
    I can't imagine fighting with all of that. I'l l guess I'll consider myself lucky here in the great white north

8. HBFOXJr

OK, maybe I exaggerated, it might be a minimum of 3. Most jobs have sidewalks at the street. So that is 2 bores, one for each side of the drive. Most likely there will be a walk that goes from the drive to the front porch. Sometimes add an additional front walk going to the street.

The 2 front walks may require 2 to 3 bores each. If it is the walk from the drive to the porch, the enclosed area may be big enough to need a rotor off one zone and a partial zone of sprays plus one for the main. If it is the walk from the porch to the street it might be 1 main and one lateral. I try to keep that to just a main if I can. If theenclosed area can be done in a zone of sprays and no other sprays are needed in front I'll put the valve on the inside if the main is coming out of that area. Sometimes we will have a walk from the garage to the rear yard area, deck/porch to bore to get sprinkler or control wiring under.

My controllers are pretty routinely mounted in the garage but preferably on an exterior wall close the the roll up door. We seldom have an outdoor receptacle to plug or hardwire into. Tie ins are usually basement as close to the meter as we can and out the wall as close as possible. Running addtional copper inside to avoid a main bore outside is not always a good physical or $ choice option.

9. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We use the reel for pipe pulling. I work with a crew of two others and the reel allows me to pull all the pipe and have one guy following digging holes for the heads while the second guy digs the trenches for the bores. Sometimes we don't have to do any bores and sometimes we got 3 to do. It depends on whether they got the boulevard (strip of grass between sidewalk and street) to do. The only time I need a second person is if I pull around a corner and am not able to see the reel. The second person would watch and let me know when I drop the line.

10. HBFOXJr

Who makes the reel you have? Where might it be available?