Solo Products (Trimmers/blowers)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Otizzy, May 14, 2007.

1. Otizzy

Otizzy LawnSite Member

Is anybody running solo products? I have both a trimmer and blower made by them and couldn't be happier. I haven't come across anybody else that has a solo product listed in their "sig." I'm not sure if they are a newer brand, but all I know is that they are well-built, heavy-duty, and come with a 2 year commercial warranty. Anybody else have any opinions of Solo, good or bad?

2. byoung

byoung LawnSite Member

Love the stuff. I have blowers and they are amazing. Well built and really strong. They're definately not a new brand. Make a lot of spray equipment (since the 50's). They've held up incredibly well for me. Especially now that gas is so high.

3. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

Got a trimmer by Solo. Very nice and well built.

4. Paul in Maryland

Paul in Maryland LawnSite Member

Steve,
    I know that the Solo 106R uses the Robin 24.5cc 4-cycle engine. But is the 106R, in fact, the same trimmer as the Robin BH2500 and Makita EM4251 that sell upward of $300? It would be nice to know that parts are available under all three brands.

Solo also made a 130R, which uses the larger 33.5cc Robin engine. But it's no longer listed on the Solo site, nor can I find it for sale anywhere.

5. Paul in Maryland

Paul in Maryland LawnSite Member

I forgot to include another rebadged Robin BH-2500: The Dolmar MS-2514 (MS2514).

6. byoung

byoung LawnSite Member

Yeah, I prefer the trimmers that just have the solo engines versus the robin rebadge.

Like the blowers they just seem to hold up better than the other makes.

It's funny, even since the RedMax/Husky thing (RM used to be one of the better makes when they were in charge of their own stuff) you hear of so many more problems from Red Max as opposed to when it used to be it's own company... I think it's always best when a company makes their own products. Even Stihl - though still a company in it's own right - because they do so many things, seem to be having a hard time keeping the quality up.

7. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

I have the 106R and the Robin 2500 in my garage now. The gear head on the Solo is larger and the shaft attachment to the engine is different as are the controls. But the engine is that outstanding Robin engine for both.

Since the Solo is was only $179, I think that is a just very inexpensive for a commercial unit.