1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Solo question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by OrangeToys, Feb 4, 2009.

1. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

I am looking to go full time this up coming season and I only have one major fear right now. I am solo (unless the weather puts me behind) and I have a scag 61" mower and big question is "what is the biggest yards some of you solo guys can do in a days time?"

And yes I do realize that this is a difficulte question to answer but I'm just needing and estimate.

2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

do you have smaller mowers? the reason i ask because there will be alot of gates that mower will not get thru.
    I personally do not have any large accounts but i do have my own yard that is about 2 acres and it takes me about 3 hours to cut it but i have alot of trees and things that i have to trimm around hope this helps

3. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Kinda hard to give you a exact answer. There are too many variables such as size of the property, number of obstacles, the topography of it as well. If you have flat out fields to mow, with minimal trimming you will be able to get more in one day. Hills, and obstacles will naturally slow you down and take you longer. Your best bet is to time each of your lawns and figure out how long they take and plan to have at least one day to catch up such as a saturday or saturday and sunday if need be. Remember spring and fall cuttings will take longer due to higher turf growth, summer time you might be able to zip through them quicker due to slower growth. Also figure in drive time and load and unload time into each of your accoutns, it adds up.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a good urban route with minimal travel, efficiency, etc... Then you can easily pull 15 residentials a day. Keep in mind it takes a while to establish that.

I've known some guys that pull 30 a day.

If your solo, then always think SAFETY. As soon as your hurt, you can't make money.

5. OrangeToys

from SW MO

ok this is going to sound rude but nobody has evan came close to answering the question. I know how many I can do in a day. My question was "what is or what do you think the biggest job size that a solo person could complete in a day"? An example would be something like mowing an elementary school or something.

Is there a solo operation doing this?

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

My largest is 34 town home unit that takes 4.5 hours in and out. After that I start dragging not because of being tired just because it seems like there is no end. I still do 4 to 5 more hours after that but it is broken up. It's a matter of what a individual wants to do and their mentality. Some may be able to work on one site all day but not me.

Also by looking at properties by size is misleading. 20 acres with your mower would take a long time, but the same guy with a 15ft batwing mower on back of a tractor can easily do that in a couple hrs and still be solo.

So what you are asking is very dependent on you and your equipment. I would say most can do 5 acre sites without a problem with a 61" ZTR. When you get 8 to 10 acres then it gets a little longer.

Is this what you are looking for?

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ill try to answer...If I understand you correctly, you are wondering how big of a job is too big for a solo guy. True?

I can mow, trim, and blow an acre by myself in about 45 minutes. This is using a 48" Deere Quik Trak and trimming a chain link fence around the entire perimeter.

I had a condo association that wasnt as big, but had little mini yards...about 15 of them plus an entry way. It took me 1 1/2 hours. So it all depends on how large, how much trimming and blowing...lotsa variables.

As a solo guy, smaller properties are best IMO. I will have my son helping me this season so I will look to add some larger properties.

Hope this helps

8. OrangeToys

from SW MO

Thank you for helping me out on this that is more of what I was looking for.

Also djagusch thank you for your input.

9. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

with a 60'' lazer I could cut and trim atleast 4 large (3-5 acres) in a day solo

10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Completely agree with you there. But if it was 20 acres at one location for that day would be a drag, at least to me.