SOLO----%'s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David C., Jun 21, 2008.

1. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Not counting repairs and necessary purchases---what's been the %'s of gross for gasoline??

My gasoline expense is averaging 12%----wondering how I could trim that %???

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine hovers around 15-20% if you wanted to take out repairs, which I don't understand that thought.

There's no way to trim it, unless you're doing like I, and no longer running your blower.

You have to be more careful, which means you're probably using more gas in the trimmer and mower, so it's a wash.

Everyone keeps saying "drive less, gas will go down". There's too many industries that depend on gas / diesel that cannot drive less, such as ours.

The only thing you can do, which alot of people are trying to do with purchasing a new / different car, is get more efficient. However, most likely the money that you're going to save from 1.2 gallons per hour to 1 gallon per hour, isn't going to make up the cost of the new mower, trimmer, whatever you're going to purchase.

Eat it, move on.

3. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

4.9% for just mowers, trimmers, blowers.

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

About 20%....for everything

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Around 14% split about 40-60 between the mowers and truck. I'm looking at options on the truck to reduce that fuel cost including downsizing the trailer to increase mileage on the truck. If I can pick up 3 MPG on the truck that will lower my fill ups by $16.00 each. The payoff on a $600 used 6X12 is about one year at $4 a gallon.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I am going to try this in about 2 weeks. I'm putting it on a 1999 Ford F150
    that gets about 12 average pulling a trailer and 16 on the hiway no trailer.
    My goal is get get my mileage up to 16 pulling my mowers around. For those who are running older trucks older than 1996, this is a no brainer slap on the device an pick up power and fuel mieage overnite. I ordered the books and found people who are better than me at making these devices.
    http://water4gas.com/2books.htm?hop=justadd

7. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Roughly 12.5% for me as well, give or take......

8. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

MJB, that's some interesting stuff. Let us know how it works for you.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Last year I spent 8% of gross on fuel - and that's ALL fuel (even my wife's). This year should be same with my fuel surcharge.

10. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

I have been an auto technician for 12 years and there is no way that could work. I have read many articles on the scams people are using to make money off of people trying to save fuel. But if you want to throw your money away, go right ahead. Just remember I told you so.