solo shirts

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by greenn1001, Nov 19, 2006.

1. greenn1001

greenn1001 LawnSite Member

do any of you solo guys wear company shirts? if so how many did you buy and how much where they? if not what do you wear? what is a comfortable, cool, yet professional uniform? i ask this because i have been in biz for 2 years and i am trying to be more professional and less of a lawn boy this coming season.

2. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Went to my local uniform shop and bought 10 t-shirts screenprinted with my name and # for about $8 per shirt and a one time set up fee ( for the stencil ) of $20. If I want more I just pay the per shirt cost. Nothing fancy. Block letters. I am a solo op too so I went simple.

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Had a few golf shirts made for when i'm bidding jobs, wear Khaki pants and green shirt when mowing and have a Khaki CoolVest that match the pants for when it gets hot. Will probably do some T's this coming year.
    Golf shits were 12.00 a piece with name embroidered (20.00 setup fee). Cool vest was 180.00, Khakis 20.00.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

solo or employees I think wearing a company shirt is a good image thing.
    we have both polos (which are WAY too hot to work in), and t shirts printed with our company name and phone #. It's an easy decision what to wear to work each day, and I think it just looks better than regular clothes.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I bought 2 dozen t's for myself when i first got going. It was the minimum that the guy would do, however it was actually a good number. 1) people/friends will ask for one or just steal them. 2) you don't have to do laundry every 5 days.

I also bought 3 polo shirts with the left breast printed for "big" estimates. I also bought 6 sweatshirts, and I have one left primarily due to reason #1 above.

I will need a new set of shirts next year, mine are starting to fray around the edges since I wear them all the time.

6. 1MajorTom

ya, every 2 years we get new shirts, they won't last much longer than that if used every day.

7. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I'm going to invest in some shirts before next season. Image is everything in the small business world. Getting your name out there is job #1!

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually the minimum order is a dozen shirts. A word of advice as to what type of shirts to get. Don't get 100% cotton shirts. In the summer when they get soaked with sweat they take "forever" to dry and feel misreble. I've always specified my logo shirts to be Jerzzees 50/50 blend. They wear like iron. Just my .02

9. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

i really want to get some shirts made for this summer

10. 1MajorTom

also remember to think about the color. you don't want to get a color that is too hot when the extreme temps hit. we've always stuck with light gray or tan shirts with hunter green lettering. white would be a "cool" choice too, but it's much too hard to keep really clean looking for long.