1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solo to crew...thinking about solo again???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, May 24, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

This year, I went from solo to having a crew.

1) Being able to spend time with my son when he broke his arm
    2) Landscape work is a lot easier on body

1) Having to constantly get work to keep everyone working full time
    2) More maintenance on equipment
    3) Taxes,taxes and more taxes
    4) Workman's comp insurance
    5) A lot more paper work

Who is in the same position?

Is it worth it to have a crew or go back to the solo gig where everything was controlled?
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have mediocre customers and crew, fire the crew and keep the best customers. Go solo.

If you have lots of great customers, staff a good crew to fulfill.

Somewhere in between? Keep your best helper and ditch the worst. Also ditch the unprofitable or PIA customers.
  3. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've been wondering the same thing.

I tend to agree with Albemarle.
  4. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

Your right being Solo has great advantages, like Friday I am taking off to leave town for a long weekend due to the holidays, I have 3 guys that I will have to make a schedule out, I am the kind if they are working I like to be within minutes of where they are.

5. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

if that happens i will hire somebody then i will make there paycheck/everything else.
  6. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

You are at the crossroads....either expand or contract. Ask yourself this: do you want to enslave yourself to a life of drudgery, put limits on how far you can grow and have limited quality time for yourself and family or do you have what it takes to impliment a plan and strategy with systems in place to make your business work for you? Simple, yes....easy, no.
  7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I love being solo. I work when I want and where I want.

The funny thing is, I was watching this crew the other day. 3 guys doing one lawn. One WB, One ZTR and one guy trimming. What a dog and pony show. I finished my lawn next to thiers in about the same time. Funny thing was, just as I was living, their boss showed up and boy did they step up the pace.
  8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

FIRE YOUR WORST WORKER in front of the other workers. I guarantee their work output will increase enough to offset the loss of the worst worker.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

While I agree the solo thing is great, and you willl have less if any cash flow problems, I still feel the only way to Grow and be a REAL business is to have ppl. doing work for you. I feel that as a solo you are just self -employed.

As a solo YOU ARE the business, if you stand back and look at it it's just equipment.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Learning the skill of managing employees is the key to growth. You can be outstanding out in the field and with the business side of things, but if you can't manage other people you'll have difficulty.

I'll never go back to solo...it was fun for awhile but the truth is, it's a grind and not something I'd want to be doing for the next 20-30 years :dizzy: