Solo vs employee's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

Just double check your chart of accounts and you should likely have an account for every line on the schedule C

Not everything maps however nor should it.

2. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I don't know if any one said this and I'm not trying to be a jerk but since you are getting 30 calls a day, it seems to me that you could raise your prices. Pick up new accounts that pay more and slowly weed out the ones that are low.

3. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

If I was getting 30 calls a day this is what I'd do....

Buy a couple used S10's, put your logo on the side. The S10's wont eat tons of gas and can still haul a small trailer/mower just fine. Find a couple small 6x10 or 6x12 trailers, purchase another hydro 36" and a couple push mowers. Hire a couple guys at $9-10/hour.

I don't see any reason each guy shouldn't be able to do 12 lawns a day by himself.

So for example now you have 3 trucks out mowing 12 lawns each day Mon-Fri.

3 trucks x 12 lawns = 36 lawns per day

36 lawns x $25 = $900.00 per day gross income

Wages: 2 employees x $10 an hour x 8 Hours = $160 per day.

Gas/Misc Expenses: $200.00 per day (strictly a safe guess, but much more than you say you spend a day.)

Your daily estimated operating costs are around $360 per day and you gross $900.00 per day give or take. This leaves you with a net profit of around $540.00 per day. :cool2:

You could even hire a 3rd worker to run your truck, sit at home and watch the price is right and still pocket over $400 a day.

I realize there are other numbers/costs and variables, insurance, etc.. to figure in, this is just an example of another way to think about making your business more productive and profitable since acquiring accounts doesn't seem like an issue.

Good Luck!

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe I should move to Maine if the starting wage to work for an LCO is higher than $10 an hour.

I don't have employees now but I always talk about what if I did or the what ifs when hiring someone. I sure don't plan on starting there pay any more than $10 per hour.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

You say that until you see the guys who show up for the $9 PH jobs. We start new guys at $10 - $12. We tried at $9 but the guys who showed up were burnouts or job jumpers. If you want to make the move we have a PT opening starting out at $11.50 for 20-35 hours a week :drinkup:

7. yardguy28

thanks for the offer but if I move anywhere its gonna be FL.....maybe go work for diamond or something....haha

8. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

I've never scheduled less then 12 a day solo. NONE of them were as low as 25 bucks. Why cut yourself short?

9. yardguy28

the min per cut varies from location to location. it's not cutting yourself short if that's where your market is in your neck of the woods.

10. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

$12 an hour....

Can't you find someone that will work for food? That's what I did till he ran over the clients dog with a mower!

I agree good work is hard to find, ever think of paying someone by the work they completed? Salesman work off commission, why can't a laborer? Maybe a bonus at the end of the month for NO injuries, damages, etc.