Solo vs employee's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Is that a pile of money laying there on the table? Well if nobody else wants it, I'll take it. :waving:

2. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm making profit and the bills are paid and my kids are fed I'm happy. If I charge way more than what the market in my area is then I won't get any business. Its easier to get business if I'm charging right at what the market is or slightly under and knowing I'll still make profit. You have to remember there's tons of guys with ford rangers, mini vans, ford explorers, etc...pulling a trailer with a trimmer rack, blower, and a walk behind mower and a sign saying lawn care $20.

3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I understand, it's that way in every city and town in the country, there's guys running around everywhere, you have to have something they don't, not just lower prices. Even Walmart is struggling and they always CLAIM to have the lowest prices, what they've discovered is you can't compete on price alone.

4. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Okay so I'll break it down for you. 10 lawns a day 5 days a week is 50 lawns a week.

$25 a lawn. Minus $10 for taxes and expenses (we all know its not $10 per lawn for 1/2 acre or less lawns).

Thats $15 a lawn profit. That's $150 a day in my pocket which is way more than any minimum wage job will pay. That's $750 a week and usually 4 weeks in a month so thats $3000 profit. How am I wrong?

5. cpllawncare

Someone help this poor guy out! he actually thinks he's only got $10 in expenses!

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe that's all he's got. I remember reading on Just Mowing and his expenses weren't that much more than $10/yard, and he had office personnel, lots of crews, expenses etc.

So, Small Stripes could possibly only have $10 in expenses.

Not trying to pick apart your reasoning but it is possible.

7. cpllawncare

There's ins, advertising, gas for the truck and mowers, tires for the truck and trailer, oil changes for the truck and mowers, blades, string for the trimmers 2 cycle oil for the handhelds, food and drinks everyday, I could go on and on and you haven't even put anything away in savings for the winter yet. C'mon you haven't even paid yourself yet are you really gonna work for $10-12/hr?

8. cpllawncare

When your doing huge volume you can spread your expenses out, but not a solo guy with 50 lawns.

9. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

obviously solo operating is keeping costs at a minimum, but how much can you grow by yourself? Do you want to grow? Some guys are perfectly happy because they are doing what they love, making an ok living.. and making more than they were at a, b , or c company

10. cpllawncare

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, I've been told a thousand times that there really are guys that just want to make a few dollars and that's it, it just boggles my mind why you don't have enough gumption to go after something more.