1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Solo vs employee's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, Dec 17, 2012.

1. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

There is a thread here called "how to fail in the lawn industry by Someone who did it" read that
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Very good read IIRCC

3. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262189
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

5. Brucelawns

Brucelawns LawnSite Member

Duekster, yea, on average we can do 40 lawns a day in an 8 hr day but have easily done 50 lawns a day with a two man or three man crew. I live in a highly populated area and the houses are plentiful. We have never done a acre house at a residential property. No such thing around me. Unless you go out west 30 to 45 min. Then maybe. I have read alot of these threads and the biggest thing is knowing your numbers and that takes time and experience. The young guys starting out shouldn't be discouraged because in due time you have to figure your numbers out to make a profit. This job is definitly not for everyone but it can be a fun one and profitable if you get educated.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Understood but the 50 lawns a day does not jive with most peoples post.

7. Brucelawns

I see that. Each area is different and each setup or model is different. I think maybe, we all want what we don't have. I would like to get bigger residential acre properties and alot guys would like to do smaller lawns. Each lawn brings profit because you can upsell for different services as well. I'm sure you and everyone know that:) I haven't seen many city guys on this site. Where are they???

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

the city guys are to busying taking a leak on there clients property to post on here......lol

9. Brucelawns

Whoawhoawhoa. Come on! Ha!

10. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't been on lawnsite in awhile but its sad people don't even believe each other. From the beginning of March to the end of June I usually get the 30 calls a day or so. I do turn down a TON of work but a lot of the people call me because they see I do quality work and I do get tons of calls from word of mouth. Now the word of mouth clients I do feel bad not taking on but hiring help just adds more headache. I've seen quite a few people on here mention they'd rather stay solo and keep quality accounts instead of taking what ever they can get to keep employees busy.

I only use a 36in mower because anything bigger wouldn't fit in the gates and a lot of my properties have slopes/hills and I would rather not use a bigger zero turn or even a bigger walk behind on them properties.

As far as my pricing and sizing of property. There all under 1/2 acre and a lot of them are less than 15,000 sq feet and most are less than 10,000 sq feet. A lot of guys JUST for mowing, edging, line trimming, blowing charge around $25 to $35 which is what my average is.