solos and hedgers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JMiller08, Jul 25, 2008.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

SO my question is how many of you guys running solo operations have a set of gas hedge trimmers? This year i have one account sinply because im waiting to get all my legal stuff done this winter and advertise next year and go at it full steam. The lady who i have now needs her hedges trimmed up a good bit. It looks like itll be somewhat of a big job, way more than what any electric home cheapo pair will do. I have bought all my handhelds and they are all echo and am going to keep it that way. So do i spring for the pair now and get it over with? How many trim jobs do you solo guys do? Any and all advice will help. Thanks!

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im still part time but I have a Kawasaki trimmer. Now is the time to get your equiptment, just buy a little at a time, then when you go full time you can build your customer base insred of worring about equiptment.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You are eventually going to need a good set of hedge trimmers. The more customers you take on, the more they are going to ask for their shubbery to be trimmed. The problem is trying to fit everyone in, on top of all the grass cutting. Now if you don't want to buy this year, then you could consider renting a hedge trimmer for the day to get this one job done. Just look in the phone book for your nearest rental shop. It shouldn't be much to rent one just for the day.

4. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

down here hedge/shrub trimming is done year round & I would absolutely go crazy without my extended reach 180 degree articulating hedge trimmers.

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Husky double sided 36" machine. It's great, it can hack off some pretty big branches, but even with a 12' ladder, I still need an articulated trimmer. That is next on my buy list.... an articulated isn't good for the heavy work, but those hard to reach tops of 12' hedges.... man, I need one. This was my forst year pruning... and I got some big one time jobs, but the reach of an articulated is something I MUST have!

I would NOT want to rely on an articulated for the regular heavy cut backs, no way... not enough power or branch width cutting ability, but for those hard to reach tops... a must have.

6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have the HC-150 echos and they are pretty good.

7. sweetz

Sorry, but.....IMHO, I use my articulating trimmer for everything! I've spent $4-500 on other 20-22-36" trimmers, but I just don't like to use them. Oh well tho.... that's your opinion & this is mine. Different strokes for different folks!:laugh:

8. Whitey4

Well, all I can say it that I've looked at the specs, looked at the teeth, and based on that, not experience, I'm pretty sure that the articulated trimmers can't handle what my Husky can handle. If a branch is too wide to get it into the teeth, it aint gonne cut that branch.

Much also depends on what one is pruning. A eunonomous is easy.... try doing a 1" thick privet branch with an articulated trimmer! Hey, I could be wrong, I don't own one.... yet!

9. sweetz

My articulating trimmer will cut 1" branches - it will cut anything a regular hand held style trimmer will.

10. Whitey4

Then I guess you are a ... happy camper!