Solos, how many hours?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Little o, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Little o

Little o LawnSite Member

I'm just curious, how many hours do you put in during the rock and roll months.

1) As long as the work is there, work daylight to dusk. Monday through Saturday. Make the money while you can and store up for the Winter?

2) Daylight to dusk Monday though Friday, make as much as I can but I like

3) 8:00 for 4:30, family and friends, is more important than making the last

4) Some other method?

Just curious, first year starting, just want to hear what works for everyone.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

That depends on your goals for your first year as well as your long term plan.
    What do you want to do this year? That is your personal goal not what I say you should do. What do you want to be doing in 5 years? Run multiple crews? Have crews run themselves? Stay a small operation? Many questions that you can only answer.

I have been doing this for 10 years and I will say that in the beginning I did lots but I also was not working as smart and efficient as I am now. I now am out for less time and make more money because I am efficient and still provide high quality service to a specific group of customers. That is my business and at this point I am quite happy. I have now expanded my fert/pest operation and I am heading toward becoming more of an applicator than a mower in the next few years although I still enjoy mowing I need to become specialized as lots of guys are mowing.
    Create a short and long term plan and don't forget to enjoy life in the meantime. You can really turn yourself off to this business by working alone on chipping away a mountain with a teaspoon. Good Luck.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in the "3" category. I make plenty of money now but could easily double my money working solo. I work Monday through Friday from 7:30 (6 on commercial mornings, usually Monday) until 2 or 3. Saturday mornings are reserved for mower maintenance unless there is something else going on. I do enjoy doing what I want to do when I want to do it. Although I do like cutting grass I really only do it for the money.
  4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I would fall more into your '1' category. As long as I have work to do, I keep going until it gets done, although I do try to work only every other Saturday, and no Sunday's. I am pretty much a stay at home dad all winter, so by this time of year I'm pretty much ready to get out for a while, and the kids are probably ready to get rid of me for a while too. ;)
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to put myself in the "1" category too. I grew up on a dairy farm many years ago (now almost 64 years old), and learned the 2/7/365 routine (milking 2X per day, every day, all year). The work week has always been 6 days for me, but no Sunday working. My work week during most of the season is 65-70+ hours per week.

I do enjoy the "late shift" on Summer days, 5-8 p.m. Often, working conditions are the best of the day (e.g. grass is dry, temps have fallen, breezes have diminished). Saturday night is always working until the very last part of daylight.

The Winter is long, tiring. I don't plow snow, but look for anybody's driveway to clear when we do get snow (shovel, small blower) -- no pay, just to work.

Every year, I think "this is the last," but then reality hits -- got to work and be productive.
  6. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I am still doing this part-time, but have more than enough work to keep me as busy as I want. So, rather than spread it out, I do it all at once.

2-3 days per week.....8:00am until its done. Sometimes that's 6:00pm, sometimes the sun is setting. I'd rather work 2 days for 12 hours, than 3 days for 8 hrs. It leaves me more time to run my other business, and still make the same $ in lawns.

Weekend work isn't scheduled regularly. Saturdays are reserved for odd-ball jobs, and I put them in on the weekends when nothing else is going on, or I feel like making an extra buck.
  7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

#3 for me. Mon - Fri 8:00 - 4:30 or 5:00 no lunch. Just grab something and eat in the truck between jobs. Weekends off to enjoy camping, fishing, family, friends and my horse. Quality of life to me is more important than money.
  8. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

This business is not for you get another line of work
  9. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 LawnSite Member

I have been mowing on a part time basis for 2 full seasons now. I usually work Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday from 5pm to about 8pm when DST starts. Saturday is a rain day or maintenance. If no rain has fallen and no maintenance needs to be done, I have a great day with my family by the pool.
  10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Elaborate please.