1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

soluble urea

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by causalitist, Jun 4, 2008.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone ever sprayed soluble urea with a permagreen, or tried to?
    i would be satisfied with a low rate like 10lb per 2gal (16,000 sqrft.)
    thats pretty concentrated, so im asking if it would burn, or simply not dissolve.

i have a synergy sprayer, made by permagreen, sprays 2 gal per 16,000 sqrft

im wondering about the 46-0-0 "sprayable" urea from lesco, or wherever.

i know urea is very soluble, i just dont know how much.
    boy would it be nice not to have to carry so much granular.
    my gran is 75% ppscu so 1/2 or 1/4 rate of instant release liquid is fine for a small spurt to go with herbicide spraying.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Too risky. At high concentrations I would expect it to burn the grass. Probably plug up the filter or nozzles. You may not be able to dissolve that much in 2 gallons of water. Try it in a bucket. Test this theory on your own lawn.

Years ago when I was with TruGreen, I burned many lawns with 2 pounds dissoved in 4 gallons of water. And you want to use ten times that much.
  3. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

experiment with that when its cooler,but i would never try that with my permagreen.
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

PG no way! the spray pattern for one is way to inconsistant/unevean, and the .24oz per k is way to hot. you can buy a 'conversion kit' from PG that ups the spray to .50oz per k, but that to is hot.

z-spray yes, more gpm and better spray coverage

z-spray claims 1.5gpm max, that is just about maxing the pump capabilities as for volume goes.

i spray out of my truck tank @ 1.5oz per k and have no problems, but stop when the temps get into the upper 70's
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

46-0-0 Urea is also available in spreadable size granules. I don't believe your PG was designed to for Liquid fert or it would be calibrated for more volume.
  6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the PG with the 46-0-0 sprayable, BUT only 1/10th of a lb of actual N per 1,000 Sq. Ft.

Doing the math, it's only 7 lbs of product (3.22 Lbs Act. N) , topped off to 8 gallons water, for 32,000 sq.ft.

Breaking down the solution @ this rate to PPM (Parts Per Million) it's 48,300ppm.

Urea has a very low salt index BUT even so, looking at the PPM, it is a fairly high concentrate using Low Vol. Method.....But safe IMO so long as temps under 90F and no drought stress yet.

If you want to use a Nurse Tank, it would be 50 lbs sprayable 46-0-0 and top off to 57 gal. for the 1/10th per 1K rate in the PG applying 1 qt per 1000, or 230,000 sq. ft. per 57 gal. solution.

You will get a response, but very short lived....About 3 weeks on Cool Season Turf.

I use this mix tanked up with Bifenthrin (Onyx/Crosscheck/Talstar) if there are surface feeders.

You could also tank mix the 46-0-0 with an Iron product like Ferromec AC 6% Fe 12%N, @ 3 oz per 1,000 sq.ft., and that will bump up the N to .13 lb actual N per 1,000 and give you a Month of Nice Green on Cool Season Turf and little growth surge.

If you have a Fungus issue, use above Urea/Fe tank with the Fungicide you choose, example Banner, 3336, Eagle......Something Flowable (labeled for disease you treat) that will stay in suspension. Be sure also to use nozzles listed below too for this mix.

If you add the Fe, use Flat Fan Turbo Tee Jet Nozzles insted of the Floodjets, for best coverage of the Foliar applied Fe........Same flow rate (Color)

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to contradict Ric here.

What I have listed works for me because I have Cool Season Turf.

His Warm Season turf would need a "Weekly Spoon Feeding" at the rate I listed, and still would not be all that great of a result on the C-4.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Very true. My fertilizer program is based on monthly liquid applications. Up to 1/2 lb of N is going down per application. That is 1 lb of urea per M. Minimum volume for that is 2 gallons per M and 5 gallons if there is no irrigation. Hawaii has the same kinds of grasses that Florida does. Except it never gets cold enough here for grass to go dormant.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A 1/10 lb is about all grass can up take in a 24 hour period. Your conditions are way different than mine. So we can both be correct but different.

I am in Zone 10 and we stay green year round. We did have a late freeze for the first time in about 5 or 6 years this last winter. I am sure we have more of a season change than you do. But my area is more of a wet dry than dormant-active growth season.

BTW I go 5 gal per thousand on all turf sprays. For heavy insect infestations like fleas and ticks I go 10 gallons per thousand. I am dealing 95% with St Augustine and 25% Zoysa.
  10. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Why not just tank in an liquid fert in your tank, 1/10 to 1/8 lb actual. There are many liquid supplements you an spray that would benefit the turf and enhance the color. Talk to your supplier for alternative ideas beside straight Urea.