Solution for belt breaking on 60" Scag??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by absolutelawnman, May 29, 2006.

1. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone else has run into the problem of the belt breaking on their Scag. I have gone through two this year and one last year. Is there a solution, or just keep buying new belts. It is the large drive belt in the back.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Scag suggested to start the blades at half throttle and don't raise or lower the deck without the blades turning. On our 48" unit the belt comes all the way from the clutch to the spindle pulleys. We use about 2 per year.

3. lms

lms LawnSite Member

Check your idler pulleys (on the deck). My guess is that one of them is too low and needs to be shimmed. That was the problem with my 48" tc, and after much trouble shooting, i fixed the problem with a few washers and haven't had a broken belt since. Hope this helps.
    -Luke

4. absolutelawnman

Forgive me for asking but will that effect the belt in the back. It is not the belts on the deck and it has a drive shaft. It is the larger belt in the back that is connected to the the drive, the blades still turn it just will not move.

5. zipperclipper

zipperclipper LawnSite Member
    from IN

absolute-you will get better suggestions back if you give better info up front-never had a problem with my tiger breaking a belt, but it's a 99 61" 22hplc- 1100 hours...what year, what model, what motor

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I think he just wanted to know in general if you guys running scags break belts a lot.

7. absolutelawnman

That is all I was trying to find out, I did not know that the year, make, model, and color would matter unless it was older than dirt or if I wanted parts.

In general, are other people breaking the belts?

Thanks Florida

8. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

There was a service bulliten on the Tiger Cubs with a 48'' deck. Ill look it up later or maybe some else has it?

9. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

Can you post some more info about the tech bulletin about the tiger cub 48" Ive broken 2 belts in only 200 hrs. Also broke the tension idler spring. the belt breaking just doesnt seem right.

10. absolutelawnman

We have yet to break the tension spring, but I believe that has a lot to do with the belt getting loose and then rubbing on metal wearing it down. It also seems to happen when going up inclines.