Solution for getting into gated yards!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikekl, Jun 12, 2005.

1. mikekl

mikekl LawnSite Member

I dont know if anyone else has done this,but so far it has worked twice for me,I have a few yards that have big backyards and a small gate,Ive always used the 21" and hated every minute,Most of these people are older and dont get out in their yard that much,I unbolted the retaining things on a corner of the chainlink pole,and run the mower under the fence,when Im done I used two black bungee type things to re-secure it,quick in quick out!Nobody has even noticed or they dont mind.unless you get right up on it,you cant even notice it!I hate even having to bring a 21" along each day.

2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice man. I have a backyard with a wood fence, it is a 48'' opening but you can't get the gate open all the way because there is a hill right behind it. This past saturday I was so tired, I just opened the gate as much as I could and just sqeezed it through. It took about 5 minutes just to get the mower through but it was definetly worth it.

I'll keep your trick in mind.

3. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

I have a troy bilt mower which is actually very versatile. 9 hp self propelled. Ive even seen wright stander in a 32" model. scag bobcat, I think they all have a 32 +- 1". I used to cram a 36 through gates. 1 was one of those vinyl ones and those door are crap. be careful around them. A chain link gate door way tore a hole in one of my tires on a walk behind once. I had to get an intertube for it but I wasn't expecting that surprise.

4. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

I dont have a gate issue anymore since I purchased the 34z made by gravely :cool2:

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Me either. I will never own a walk behind again.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I'm not usre that altering a customers property without their knowledge or permission is a good idea. Where does that put you if their dog or grandchild gets out and is injured or worse? I think your idea is OK but doing without the property owner's blessing is asking for trouble.

Derek

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

+1

You should talk to your customers about this. As long as what you are doing is not permanently damaging the fence, and it is secure after you leave, they shouldn't have any problem with it.

It could be a very uncomfortable situation if a customer happens to come upon you taking apart their fence.