Solution To Poor Cut On 18/44!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by fastrackguy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. fastrackguy

fastrackguy LawnSite Member

Hey Everyone! I originated the "poor cut " post for my 18/44 I called my dealer this week and told him my problem. He contacted Hustler and called me back and asked me some questions to pinpoint the exact problem. He naturally asked about whether the deck had build up under it and whether the blades were sharp or not. After telling him that everything was in working order he suggested that I remove the stock blades and bring them to him to swap them for the Hi-Lift type. ( FREE OF CHARGE!)He stated that due to the type of grass that I have ( kentucky blue and rye) that maybe the Hi lifts would help. I changed them out today and it made a big difference. I believe my problem is solved. The only thing I can't understand is why they don't put them on from the factory? Maybe they aren't as good for some applications? I have also heard that the mini z's have a higher blade tip speed which improves the cut. So why dosen't hustler put them on all their mowers if it improves the cut? Whether you buy a Fastrac or Super Duper Z they should all have a nice cut!
    Hope this helps everyone!
    fastrackguy
    p.s. thanks P.J.!

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Actually, it's people like you that give feedback to Hustler, and help them understand what works better on different machines. I had the same talk with Hustler a weeks ago about the same problem with their SWB cut.
    FYI, Hustler just doesn't seem to be getting the right information about their products and is lacking people with "qualified" ability for feedback. Glad you came to this forum and let Hustler know about the blades.
    Pete

3. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

Pete

u make an excellent point regarding feedback..
    wish the hustler people would check here for unbiased feedback on their products, example being the striping kit for my mini_z.
    mounted it on the mower and kaboom,1st thing it was hung/stuck trying to load on a standard open trailer.
    not sure whom hustler has doing the testing, but i coulda gave em a little insight on that one.
    now there supposed to be a 'fix' in the works, and the 'fix' will probably add up to additional money for those of us that already plopped down our non-refundable money...
    hope pj passes this along to the "testors"

4. Dagoose

Dagoose LawnSite Member
    from NY

thanks for the feedback fastrackguy, I ordered a set of hi-lifts yesterday so I'll see if they make a difference next weekend.

With my original stock blades this past spring, I noticed they missed a lot of blades. I had an area in my yard that had a lot of dandelions. I would have to go over the area 2 or 3 times before it would cut the tops. It was embarrassing to see my neighbor's Crapsman only need one pass.

Things were improved with the gator blades, but by then I had gotten rid of most of my weeds. I noticed the cut was a bit uneven (i've checked my deck, tire pressure, etc). Hopefully the hi-lifts are the answer. I'll report back after I give them a go.

5. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

The High Lifts are the way to go, switched to a set on my 18/44 and the quality cut is back!

Steve