1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solution to your drought problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Jul 16, 2005.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I understand those having a rough time with the dry weather, so I have a few solutions for you.

1st explain to your customers as they depend on you, you depend on them. I tell them I understand there may be times when the grass isn't growing, however we still need to get paid, they are expecting to spend the money anyway. Let them know you cannot control the weather, however when the season is good or in the spring they expect you to be there weekly or whatever your arrangement is if we do get a few weeks where the turf isn't growing as rapidly, advise them you will still come by edge sidewalks, driveway, pick up any trash etc. and bill them for their regular cycle. If they object then kindly tell them if we are going to provide a dependable service then we need to know our revenues that are expected to come in, them let them know that by you providing a service to them and they expect you to skip during period of dryness, that you have the right to drop them if a lawn comes along that is irrigated that will need weekly service. Usually they understand. Let them know this is how you, your employee's support yourselves. We have great success with this and would you believe it, our customers take us seriously. Men, women, we are not a matter of convenience for our customer we are in demand just like, heating/Air, mechanics, etc. Sure you can use this time to sell more work, but you still need to know your revenues. Also charge a monthly amount and those that select to pay it mow there 1st cutting with a discount and there last with a discount. hope this helps, and you don't have to wait until next season to implement this.
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I just cant do that. But I've got another job to carry me through the dry times. So more power to you fellas who do that, but I aint gonna.
  3. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

around here no one is going to pay you for not cutting the lawn. hell if it was that easy we all would stop working for the man and start cutting grass
  4. kh5150

kh5150 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ahhhh,, now comes the difference between Men & Boys in this business of lawn & landscape. The part-time / week-end warriors cant make it in tough times when the only service they truly provide is a "cheap" quick cut and trim !!! The regular FULL - TIME business owners provide a true weekly service to their customers and can retain them during these "tough times" when mother nature is stingy with the liquid H2O.

BTW.....we offer full service watering to all of our customers who do not have installed irrigation systems.

:cool2: Man I love this country AMERICA
  5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

how do you offer the watering without irrigation systems?? Im from Indiana also and am just starting out, this weather has to break soon, or so id think.
  6. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i just dont see people in my area paying someone not to do something.when you go out somewhere to eat would you pay for your meal if you had to go in the kitchen and cook it.would you take your truck to a mechanic and you fixed the truck but still had to pay him. i know i wouldnt. people are willing to pay good money for a good service in my area, but they not willing to pay if you dont do anything. but i also understand different parts of the country are more better for are business then others
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Drought and dry conditions are a part of the business. And it's also why you can't charge $15 to cut a lawn, and why you have to plan ahead, and understand what is involved in pricing. A good businessman recognizes that the $$ you get for your 30 min on a property isn't all profit now, but rather you have to deduct expenses and plan for the times when it is dry and make that $$ stretch to cover that.
  8. kh5150

kh5150 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Joe...we have vehicles equipped with water tanks / pumps and also equipped for flood type watering and large droplet spray nozzles. Most of our non-irrigated commercial properties have a "status" symbol thing going on and they are to cheap to have us install a system, but will pay us to water and keep the turf green.
  9. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Man id love to be able to afford to offer that service, right now id settle for yards to mow
  10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I understand you are providing the water but do you charge like a fert and squirt minus the chem cost then?